TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:03:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830626 times)
Peter Allen

« Reply #1900 on: June 30, 2023, 10:35:34 AM »

Most stuff in Camden is still not as it initially seems....
PJayBe

« Reply #1901 on: June 30, 2023, 04:17:40 PM »

The last boot shirt I 'bought' was for the Magic Numbers.
The Magic Numbers shirt is still going strong.)

Bought a couple of Magic Numbers shirts for the daughter and myself outside a gig, and when we saw them next Romeo pointed at Ruth and the picture of the band on it and said thet he would never wear red trousers.  An aside about F*ck*ng Jack White was heard!
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1902 on: July 01, 2023, 01:02:28 AM »

A very wet Lytham Festival. Kaiser Chiefs very good in a short set as they managed to include all their hits, whilst Blondie were surprisingly good. Far better than they were at Glastonbury last week as Debbie Harry seemed to be enjoying herself and engaged well with the crowd.

By far the best was Sting. First time I had seen him and he was superb - nothing but hits throughout, including several unexpected Police numbers such as King of Pain. Wonderful to hear Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1903 on: July 03, 2023, 10:25:49 AM »

On Saturday evening we went to Rosemoor (our local RHS garden), where they are doing a series of summer gigs, to hear Barrett's Privateers - a Cornish shanty group from just over the Tamar. Think Fisherman's Friends, but with three women in the group too, and a young guy with the deepest bass voice I have ever heard.  They were very good and would definitely be worth hearing if they ever come near you - at the moment I think they mainly sing around Cornwall and Devon.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1904 on: July 03, 2023, 01:34:38 PM »

Back from Maverick at Easton in Suffolk - and without stepping on anyone's toes - the friendliest festival in the country. Among many, many highlights was an interesting diversion by Alicia Best of A Different Thread, who has taken it upon herself to compile The Answer Songs - a compendium of responses to songs which regard women from a male perspective.
One of the most intriguing was her response to 'From Galway to Graceland' (she's also done 'Beeswing').
Intrigued listeners might want to look up her Patreon page where samples are available.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 11:26:39 PM by Shane (Skirky) » Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1905 on: July 09, 2023, 12:53:06 AM »

Red Rum Club at an open air show in Bootle tonight in a torrential downpour. Got soaked to the skin but it was worth it - a fantastic show that seemed to get better as the heavens opened.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1906 on: July 09, 2023, 01:47:16 PM »

Billy Joel (Friday) and Bruce Springsteen (Saturday) at Hyde Park. Both were superb, and people that I’ve wanted to see live for years. Billy edged it for me as I was more familiar with all of his songs and was near the front. However, the last hour of Bruce’s 3 hr set totally blew me away. I came away elated, but with a tinge of sadness as it felt like I was witnessing the twilight of stadium rock; I can’t think who would be selling out 60k+ venues to mass acclaim in 20 years time.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1907 on: July 09, 2023, 02:57:56 PM »

I can’t think who would be selling out 60k+ venues to mass acclaim in 20 years time.

Taylor Swift might have something to say about that...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1908 on: July 09, 2023, 03:10:08 PM »

Good shout, David. Anyone else? Maybe Coldplay at a push…
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1909 on: July 09, 2023, 03:57:38 PM »

Good shout, David. Anyone else? Maybe Coldplay at a push…
Rolling Stones

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1910 on: July 09, 2023, 04:12:00 PM »

Well U2 have ten years on The Boss, maybe not twenty.

Sterephonics, Manic Street Preachers.

Ed Sheeran and George Ezra who both have careers based on their genuine ability and study of music. Sam Fender. Beyonce.

If Taylor Swift does it, then Harry Styles could, too. He appears to have developed beyond his talent-show roots and to have carved his own image, values and seems to be ever developing in song-writing abilities.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1911 on: July 09, 2023, 04:21:00 PM »

Well U2 have ten years on The Boss, maybe not twenty.

Sterephonics, Manic Street Preachers.

Ed Sheeran and George Ezra who both have careers based on their genuine ability and study of music. Sam Fender. Beyonce.

If Taylor Swift does it, then Harry Styles could, too. He appears to have developed beyond his talent-show roots and to have carved his own image, values and seems to be ever developing in song-writing abilities.

For me, Arena bands (who play the odd stadium...mainly in Wales!) and I adore the Manics.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1912 on: July 09, 2023, 09:55:21 PM »

Rolling Stones

Is the only correct answer👍

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1913 on: July 10, 2023, 09:15:53 AM »

ABBA, The Beatles... (all done by AI, of course)

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1914 on: July 10, 2023, 09:35:07 AM »

Why isn't Abba Voyage in a stadium then?  I'd have thought they only work if you're close enough to be convinced they're 'real'?  Then again this plays into the whole area around 'authenticity'.  I'm utterly amazed by the size of crowds and cost of tickets to see cover bands...especially (something I've never really got my head around) Floyd and Genesis.  Apparently it no longer matters who is playing it, just that it is being played.  In that case maybe AI will take off, but I still can't really imagine it in stadiums (so it obviously will be)!

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1915 on: July 10, 2023, 10:07:37 PM »

An actual recent gig: last night, the very last Little Johnny England gig with the very ill Gareth Turner playing his arse off even if he was confined to a wheelchair.

A magnificent, emotionally wrecking, experience.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 01:16:24 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1916 on: July 11, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »

Why isn't Abba Voyage in a stadium then?  I'd have thought they only work if you're close enough to be convinced they're 'real'?  Then again this plays into the whole area around 'authenticity'.  I'm utterly amazed by the size of crowds and cost of tickets to see cover bands...especially (something I've never really got my head around) Floyd and Genesis.  Apparently it no longer matters who is playing it, just that it is being played.  In that case maybe AI will take off, but I still can't really imagine it in stadiums (so it obviously will be)!

I almost completely agree.
Cover bands in small club venues is one thing, when it's a bunch of people enjoying the music of the original group.
But in larger venues like stadiums, it's a bit odd, when the tribute act is the draw, not the original artist.
I've even seen the Australian Pink Floyd called 'The Floyd'.
The almost agree part is regarding Genesis.
I've seen Gabriel and Collins era tributes, and the Collins ones are enjoyable enough.
The Gabriel ones are different, though.
Peter's theatricality was an essential part of the early shows, and pretty unique at the time. Accurately reproducing that so that one can enjoy something one never saw, or re-experience if one did, sets the tributes apart too.
It's not just the music. Or the light show.
The last gig I attended was The Musical Box doing the Lamb show at Birmingham Symphony.
Having listened to the boot of Genesis playing the original show at the Hippodrome (I think), it was good to match the visuals to what I've been hearing for years.
But it still wasn't Genesis.
But, whatever floats your (silent sorrow on empty) boat(s).

Well I never did..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1917 on: July 11, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »

An actual recent gig: last night, the very last Little Johnny England gig with the very ill Gareth Turner playing his arse off even if he was confined to a wheelchair.

A magnificent, emotionally wrecking experience.

Tragic and brilliant at the same time.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1918 on: July 16, 2023, 02:03:17 PM »

Part recent gig part upcoming gig. From an hour or so ago until this evening, Folk By The Oak.

Lady Maisey sounds very nice. Son is looking forward to Longest Johns, Wife and I are here for This Is The Kit, then all three will be up for the Waterboys later.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1919 on: July 17, 2023, 12:59:14 AM »

Folk By The Oak...

Son is looking forward to Longest Johns, Wife and I are here for This Is The Kit, then all three will be up for the Waterboys later.

Waterboys were excellent. Best I've seen them since a gig at the Roundhouse about 5 years ago. Lots of old stuff, lots of bouncy stuff and lots of floppy hat wearing on Mike Scott's part which I take as a good sign.

Two sets from This Is The Kit which was an absolute bonus. Nick Mulvey was ill, so Cut Capers were moved onto the main stage, and Kate and Co filled in the gap on the Acorn Stage after their main stage set. They too were excellent as one would expect.

Longest Johns were pretty fine too, oscillating between comedy and heart tugging ballads.

It's quite a middle class festival; Cropredy doesn't yet have a dedicated area set aside for gazebos. We'd go again though, as the organisation is good and the lineups seen to have been consistently strong.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: