TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:28:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830141 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1880 on: June 17, 2023, 10:24:04 AM »

Sam Kelly and Jamie Francis.  Surprised (and delighted) by their cover versions of ‘Crossroads’ and ‘Sultans of Swing’.

Glad to hear that Sam is well enough to play again. Apparently he had to cancel a few gigs recently as he ended up in hospital.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1881 on: June 17, 2023, 11:51:29 AM »

Currently at Beardy Folk Festival.
How have I never come across Mik Artistik’s Ego Trip before?
Totally bonkers but wonderful!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1882 on: June 18, 2023, 01:32:03 PM »

Currently at Beardy Folk Festival.
How have I never come across Mik Artistik’s Ego Trip before?
Totally bonkers but wonderful!

They're from West Yorkshire so play regularly near me. Always great fun. Not sure if he still does it but Mik used to have a sideline of going to pubs and doing people's portraits/caricatures on paper bags. Very good he was, too.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1883 on: June 23, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »

Once again, not exactly a gig, but live music on screen:

Grateful Dead Meet up At the movies- live at at Soldier s Field, IL,  1991.

Apart from a few bits of wobbly camera work ( deliberate?) and some superimposed animations which at times felt rather pointless, I really enjoyed this. In fact, I was more physically comfortable there in the cinema than I've been st many gigs. The sound was set at a sensible level too.

I had reservations in advance of going - unlike the last one, this concert doesn't come from the group's classic  era, imo. The band, however, came across as professional in every way, certainly not going through the motions. Looking at a very overweight Gerry, I reflected he hadn't long left at this point.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1884 on: June 23, 2023, 09:32:50 AM »

Apart from a few bits of wobbly camera work ( deliberate?) and some superimposed animations which at times felt rather pointless, I really enjoyed this. In fact, I was more physically comfortable there in the cinema than I've been st many gigs. The sound was set at a sensible level too.

I had reservations in advance of going - unlike the last one, this concert doesn't come from the group's classic  era, imo. The band, however, came across as professional in every way, certainly not going through the motions. Looking at a very overweight Gerry, I reflected he hadn't long left at this point.

He soldiered on for another 5 years before he ruined my day in Florida

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1885 on: June 23, 2023, 09:45:13 AM »

He soldiered on for another 5 years before he ruined my day in Florida

Mumbles 'Jerry' and '4' more years under his breath...

There is normally something to enjoy in any Grateful Dead gig, even one from the 90s (especially with Bruce involved - was he at this one?  And, sorry, but at least there was no Brent) but I'm not sure I could manage to sit through a whole one.  The two at Wembley '90 I went to were an exciting spectacle and I'm forever grateful for the opportunity, but musically they were already well into a lengthy decline (and the Ratdog gigs from 20 years ago where musically much better).  For me, their last genuine peak was '77 (and sneaking into '78) when the cocaine was still decent, heroin wasn't much of a factor, and they still sounded exciting (and occasionally inspirational) as opposed to at least somewhat disengaged.  But I know Deadheads who tell me that '92 was their best ever year or whatever.  Hell, there are people who tell me Fairport are much better now than in the 60s so what do I know...  Wink  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1886 on: June 24, 2023, 03:03:13 PM »

Peter Gabriel at the AO (let's go) Arena in a slightly rainy Manchester last night - very impressive staging, PG's voice seems to be standing up much better than some of his contemporaries (Elton), and his band are just superb. Penultimate gig of the European run - hope, for John from Austin's sake at least - the US dates are equally as good.

Only downside was the price of merch (T-shirts - £35-40, programme £20 - though the guy next to me reckoned it was well worth it - lots to read, not just photos - and 88 pages); but with such a technically complex show and a huge crew, I guess costs are pretty damn high.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1887 on: June 24, 2023, 04:08:05 PM »

Peter Gabriel at the AO (let's go) Arena in a slightly rainy Manchester last night - very impressive staging, PG's voice seems to be standing up much better than some of his contemporaries (Elton), and his band are just superb. Penultimate gig of the European run - hope, for John from Austin's sake at least - the US dates are equally as good.

Only downside was the price of merch (T-shirts - £35-40, programme £20 - though the guy next to me reckoned it was well worth it - lots to read, not just photos - and 88 pages); but with such a technically complex show and a huge crew, I guess costs are pretty damn high.

It's funny how we make excuses for things we know to be wrong.  When even the good guys are profiteering you know we're going to hell in a bucket....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1888 on: June 25, 2023, 12:40:50 PM »

It's funny how we make excuses for things we know to be wrong.  When even the good guys are profiteering you know we're going to hell in a bucket....

Whereas all those other bands tour and sell merch out of the goodness of their hearts.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1889 on: June 25, 2023, 01:52:00 PM »

Whereas all those other bands tour and sell merch out of the goodness of their hearts.

Don't get the point.  Plenty of bands are selling t-shirts for £20-25 and making good money on those (good quality t-shirts cost about a fiver if bought in hundreds or more).  And I'm printing 1000 copies of a 160pp high quality photobook for about half of the cost of those programmes...so, yes, profiteering.

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1890 on: June 29, 2023, 08:21:33 AM »

Re: pricy T shirts…can you still get dodgy knock-offs outside of the gig anymore? I’m sure they used to be a big thing, but don’t remember seeing any lately…
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1891 on: June 29, 2023, 08:46:15 AM »

Re: pricy T shirts…can you still get dodgy knock-offs outside of the gig anymore? I’m sure they used to be a big thing, but don’t remember seeing any lately…

I've seen more outside footy matches than gigs recently if I'm honest.  I remember buying a great Stone Roses boot shirt outside of the Brighton Centre in '95.  Had that for years!

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1892 on: June 29, 2023, 09:20:32 AM »

Yes!

Took my son to see Muse the other day. While killing time waiting to get out of the car park, a guy loaded up with fabric wanders past: "Get yer T-shirts! £5 a T-shirt...!"

Son was quite bemused it has to be said.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1893 on: June 29, 2023, 11:32:52 AM »

I remember that outside the Guildford Civic Hall back in the 8os when I first started going to gigs, but I don't think I have seen it for many years now. I probably go to the wrong sort of gigs these days...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1894 on: June 29, 2023, 12:50:33 PM »

Then there are bands that sell OFFICIAL merch outside the gig, so that the venue can't claim a chunk of the proceeds.

Well I never did..
PJayBe

« Reply #1895 on: June 29, 2023, 05:19:02 PM »

The last few times I've seen bootleg TShirt guys outside gigs, they claim to take cards.  I'd want a good look at the card machine before I entered anything into it.....
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1896 on: June 29, 2023, 06:35:46 PM »

I remember that outside the Guildford Civic Hall back in the 8os when I first started going to gigs, but I don't think I have seen it for many years now. I probably go to the wrong sort of gigs these days...

Me too...same.  That and Pompey Guildhall were my 'local' mid-sized venues.  I do find it unbelievable that the boot shirt sellers are still selling shirts for a fiver though...they cost that back in '83!

Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1897 on: June 30, 2023, 12:42:20 AM »

Last minute decision to see Australian Mick Thomas tonight.  Disappointing crowd (40ish), but great show. Mostly old Weddings parties anything material, great songwriter. Pleased to report official T shirts £20 🤪
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1898 on: June 30, 2023, 08:37:08 AM »

I do find it unbelievable that the boot shirt sellers are still selling shirts for a fiver though...they cost that back in '83!

This is true. They were a fiver outside Oxford Apollo in my youth (and my Thin Lizzy one didn't survive the first wash.)

Yer man was definitely asking a fiver on Sunday. It was late though and he still had a huge pile of them over his shoulder - was wandering around the car park where most people were busy clogging up the exits and pointlessly trying to inch into non existent gaps. He had probably been selling for £10-20 to foot traffic outside the arena and now wanted rid of the remainder.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1899 on: June 30, 2023, 10:07:10 AM »

The last boot shirt I 'bought' was for the Magic Numbers.
I don't think there was official merch.
I picked up a shirt and waved a tenner in his face asking, 'How much for this mate ?'
He didn't reply.
I asked him again.
He didn't reply.
The third time I asked him , 'Do you want my money ?'
He didn't reply.
So I walked off with the shirt.

As I type, I remember I had the same thing with a Floyd boot cassette in Camden.

(It turned out the tape had only recorded on one channel - it was the live BBC Wembley broadcast, officially released - so that has been fixed.
The Magic Numbers shirt is still going strong.)

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: