TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:08:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830530 times)
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1860 on: May 06, 2023, 08:04:09 AM »

Springsteen in Dublin last night. Interesting venue, Royal Dublin Showground, a cross between a horse event venue and a rugby ground, but so packed I could barely move. Show started and ended really well but got a bit lost in the middle with a lot of more jazzy, brass heavy stuff from Greetings from Asbury Park era, and too many solos. Still going well for a bunch of 70 somethings, though.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1861 on: May 07, 2023, 05:11:57 PM »

Duran Duran - Birmingham Utility arena. Pretty much a perfect set list of all the big hits and album deep cuts (opening with Night Boat was a bold move, but payed off brilliantly). The whole 16,000 audience were up on their feet from the start, and what a treat it was. As I’ve said before, John Taylor is a seriously underrated bass player, and his playing on Notorious, Rio and Careless Memories was just sublime. SLBs voice is still strong, the whole band were obviously having a great time, new songs fitted seamlessly into the proceedings and went down a storm. and that bollux narrative of ‘80s boy band’ was booted well out and truly of the arena.  The only negative was the drinks prices in the arena - £31 for two large G&Ts was beyond taking the p….!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1862 on: May 11, 2023, 03:07:22 PM »

Last night was the first night (apart from the warm-up, the night before!) of the Songs of the People tour, with Show of Hands and Michael Wood, and Kirsty Merryn.

If one was going to be picky, it was a little under-rehearsed, with Steve Knightley needing crib sheets for most of the songs, and discussions about which key some were in.  But the personalities are such that they carried it off, and it can only get better as they go on.

The theme was songs of protest (generally), from the 14th century on, with Michael Wood giving some historical context around the songs.  I'd have been happy for it to go on longer than the 90 minutes or so it was, but definitely recommended if they are coming anywhere near you.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1863 on: May 13, 2023, 09:08:14 AM »

Mike & the Mechanics (Re-fueled) were pretty good on Thursday at Swansea Arena. Two excellent vocalists in Andrew Roachford and Tim Howar, I believe it was Nic Collins (son of Phil) on drums but not sure. Luke Juby on keyboards, guitar and whistling, Mike Rutherford and Anthony Drennan alternating on lead and bass guitar. I was surprised they only have one bass guitar between them and shared it! Both had several guitars including a Strat or two, no double-neck guitars tonight.

The set was pretty good, although the final 15 minutes were the band noodling away soloing and showing off their expertise. Mike played Hendrix for his solo spot!

Finally a word about the car parking. NEVER park at the actual arena. It took us an hour to get out and as a result had to pay an additional £3 because of the time taken between paying and actually reaching the exit barrier. £13 is quite the evening's parking fee.

* PXL_20230511_185507907.jpg (699.47 KB, 3963x1824 - viewed 733 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1864 on: May 20, 2023, 02:01:15 PM »

Lindisfarne and a solo Virginia Kettle last night to a very very appreciative large crowd at the Nantwich Roots festival curated by Nigel Stonier. Because of his hospitalisation I had not met up face to face with Damian  (Liptrot) since the Cropredy announcement and he is looking well but not yet 100 %. Good to hear MH have been given a decent length timeslot. Virginia was in fine form and drew a great response from the crowd who behaved impeccably (at Nigel's request) while the artistes were performing. Lindisfarne were outstanding, driven on by a superb rhythm section. Nothing remotely new but who cares , much singing along to be done {without getting thrown out!). The best I have seen them for many years.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1865 on: May 20, 2023, 05:03:34 PM »

Managed to get to the last evening of the Folk on the Pier festival, when I was in Norfolk recently.  I have always fancied sampling it, but Cromer is quite a trek from London!   I think it has the feel of a miniature Cropredy, both in terms of the artists they book and the age demographic of the audience.  Anyway, the festival was absolutely charming – it has just celebrated its 25th anniversary.  A small, pretty theatre at the end of the pier, with plenty of fringe things going on in the neighbourhood.  The line-up on the evening was the Oysterband, the Anthony John Clarke Trio, and Ben Tyzak – all excellent.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1866 on: May 21, 2023, 08:43:57 AM »

Mike Scott and James Hallawell at Nantwich Roots, making their debut as a duo. Just stunning, the best Mike Scott/Waterboys show I've seen for years. Extended versions of old favourites like The Pan Within and This is the Sea, a rare live outing for Edinburgh Castle, a selection from the Mr Yeats album, a cover of Waiting for the Man and a few new songs thrown in too. Great support from Katie Ware aka Little Sparrow.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1867 on: May 23, 2023, 10:46:23 AM »

Gretchen Peters at the weekend in Buxton on her farewell tour - very good indeed.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1868 on: May 31, 2023, 03:26:47 PM »

Sparks last Saturday at the Bridgewater hall in Manchester.
They were magnificent, lots off the new lp and loads of back catalogue from pre Kimono days up to the new stuff 50+ years of bits and no sign of any drop in quality from Ron, Russel and their top notch band.  Not shabby at all from the 78 & 75 year old brothers Mael.

* 2023-05-27_20-37-36_302.jpg (383.61 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 466 times.)

The Dude abides
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1869 on: June 01, 2023, 09:48:14 AM »

Sparks at the Royal Albert Hall. I can only echo what Jim said, a phenomenal show with huge amounts of love between the band and audience. I can’t think of any other band or performer in their 70s who are still producing albums and live performances of this quality. Simply brilliant.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1870 on: June 01, 2023, 03:16:09 PM »

Sparks at the Royal Albert Hall. I can only echo what Jim said, a phenomenal show with huge amounts of love between the band and audience. I can’t think of any other band or performer in their 70s who are still producing albums and live performances of this quality. Simply brilliant.

We are so excited to see Sparks for the first (and probably only) time in Austin in July. Loving this feedback.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1871 on: June 01, 2023, 10:14:33 PM »

Stealing Sheep/  Radiophonic Workshop.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1872 on: June 02, 2023, 02:03:08 PM »

Spent a lovely evening with Hannah Sanders and Ben Savage in Worthing a couple of nights ago. Had another chat with Hannah in the interval. She may just be the nicest person I have ever met. And the music was sublime.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1873 on: June 02, 2023, 04:06:00 PM »

Lindisfarne last week, at Porthcawl. A really enjoyable evening. All you would expect from the band and a very appreciative audience. Rod Clements, however, looked quite frail, but he played outstandingly.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1874 on: June 02, 2023, 04:08:38 PM »

We are so excited to see Sparks for the first (and probably only) time in Austin in July. Loving this feedback.

I have a feeling that only one thing will stop Sparks from recording and touring as long as Ron can sit at the keyboard and Russel can own the stage.
Fingers crossed

The Dude abides
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1875 on: June 11, 2023, 10:40:51 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/11/joni-mitchell-review-gorge-amphitheatre-quincy-washington

At a time when so much news is pretty dreadful (yes, I am still sulking about Blackpool being relegated) wonderful to read the 5 star review in the Guardian of Joni playing a three hour concert in Washington state. It sounds like a fabulous evening. She has long been at the top of my concert bucket list. Is there even a faint hope she might come here? We can only hope. In the meantime it is so good that she is still performing when we must all have feared we had lost her.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1876 on: June 15, 2023, 04:09:24 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/11/joni-mitchell-review-gorge-amphitheatre-quincy-washington

At a time when so much news is pretty dreadful (yes, I am still sulking about Blackpool being relegated) wonderful to read the 5 star review in the Guardian of Joni playing a three hour concert in Washington state. It sounds like a fabulous evening. She has long been at the top of my concert bucket list. Is there even a faint hope she might come here? We can only hope. In the meantime it is so good that she is still performing when we must all have feared we had lost her.

Maybe just settle on the album.  I expect these ensemble "Joni" gigs with Brandi et al will only appear once in a blue moon.  But yeah. Joni and regrets, I certainly still regret missing her at Wembley Arena in '83.  Got offered a ticket too...aaargh.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1877 on: June 15, 2023, 04:18:10 PM »

As glad as I am that I got to see Joni in 1998 at "A Day in the Garden," she played very few familiar songs and there was a sense of "sameness" to the tunes she did play. No variety in rhythm or instrumentation, all kind of smooth mid-tempo jazz. I was a bit bored (sacrilege, I know).
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1878 on: June 15, 2023, 04:21:33 PM »

Last night at the Moody Amphitheater: Les Claypool's Summer of Green Tour 2023, featuring:

Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew replicating early Talking Heads, including the complete "Remain in Light."

Les Claypool and Sean Lennon playing a few originals and a very faithful reproduction of "Animals" by Pink Floyd.

This was a joyful, surprising, incredibly entertaining show. The biggest surprise for me is that Sean Lennon is quite a serviceable lead guitarist. He's got a spot in my band anytime.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1879 on: June 16, 2023, 09:18:09 PM »

Sam Kelly and Jamie Francis.  Surprised (and delighted) by their cover versions of ‘Crossroads’ and ‘Sultans of Swing’.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: