TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:43:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830128 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1840 on: March 07, 2023, 08:06:01 AM »

KT Tunstall was extremely good at St David's Hall, Cardiff, tonight. Andy Burrows and Stuart Wilkinson did a double shift as the opening act and than played in her band, Mr Burrows switching from guitar to his customary drumkit. Accompanied by Gorillaz bassist Seye Adelekan, they made a right old racket and great stuff it was.

With a bit of Led Zeppelin and Annie Lennox thrown in for good measure, a very enjoyable gig, albeint a tad expensive.

No Ivor Cutler?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1841 on: March 07, 2023, 09:15:41 AM »

KT Tunstall was extremely good at St David's Hall, Cardiff, tonight. Andy Burrows and Stuart Wilkinson did a double shift as the opening act and than played in her band, Mr Burrows switching from guitar to his customary drumkit. Accompanied by Gorillaz bassist Seye Adelekan, they made a right old racket and great stuff it was.

With a bit of Led Zeppelin and Annie Lennox thrown in for good measure, a very enjoyable gig, albeint a tad expensive.

No Ivor Cutler?
Lots of different deference points, but I didn't notice Ivor popping up.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1842 on: March 08, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »

Levellers in Northampton last night. Very different to their usual fayre. 3 additional members - "The Collective"  and all the band played seated.
Slowed down acoustic versions of the best of their back catalogue plus a couple of new songs and a traditional cover. Really pleasant, but just not what you normally expect from the Levellers.
Dan Donnelly has replaced Simon Friend and played banjo, mandolin and guitar beautifully.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1843 on: March 12, 2023, 10:49:45 AM »

Turin Brakes, last night - Tramshed, Cardiff. Excellent concert, both the main event and the quirky support act, UNE. Lots of crowd pleasers plus some tracks from the new album, which sounded great. My only gripe was that I am finding it increasingly difficult to attend these all standing gigs these days. But that's my problem, not theirs.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
PJayBe

« Reply #1844 on: March 12, 2023, 05:30:46 PM »

First sighting of Ian Prowse last night in Southport.  Predictably excellent, and as he is doing a tour for the 30th anniversary of the Fireworks album, quite a different set to what we're used to.  Leveret in Otley next weekend next.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1845 on: March 19, 2023, 12:49:52 PM »

The Blockheads last night at Acapela. It was a seated gig but there was lots of dancing  Grin as my knees today testify!

New frontman Mike Bennett was superb, bringing his own style and energy to the band, with original members Chaz Jankel, John Turnbull & a 77! year old Mick Gallagher joined by Nathan King on bass (brother of Mark King)John Roberts on drums & Dave Lewis on sax. Superb musicians playing some of my favourite music live. What’s not to like?  Cheesy

Get to see them if you can. You won’t regret it! Well, your knees might  Wink

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1846 on: March 24, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »

On the off chance that someone here was at Cara Dillon's gig last night...

"I’m extremely upset and I’m appealing to the woman who may just have thought they were taking a few set lists/lyrics off the stage last night. Please, please get in touch as I don’t think you realise that some of the notes have been with me for years and are very personal and irreplaceable. Immediately after the concert finished Sam went onstage, collected them all and placed them on his piano stool as he does every night for safe keeping. The concert was sold out and we had a brilliant time performing for you all but I can’t lie, I’m unable put this out of my head and I would like them returned.
Cara x"

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1847 on: March 24, 2023, 01:19:38 PM »

Shared on FB

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1848 on: March 24, 2023, 05:28:17 PM »

A happy ending...

"THEY HAVE BEEN RETURNED!!!
Thank you all so much for sharing my post and for all the suggestions for how to get them back…this genuinely means the world to me."

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1849 on: March 24, 2023, 09:03:06 PM »

A happy ending...

Thank you all so much for sharing my post and for all the suggestions for how to get them back…this genuinely means the world to me."

Thank goodness! I really felt for her.
William

« Reply #1850 on: March 25, 2023, 09:13:18 AM »

OK I admit it. I only went to the gig because my mate won two free tickets in a raffle. It was a revelation. We saw a four piece guitar and drums band called Blue Highways. The best band that I'd never heard of before. Playing all there own material, I think, with infuences from Creedence to Sprigsteen maybe. Promoting a new album and humourously complaining about the four hour journey to the gig, they were an absolute joy.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1851 on: March 25, 2023, 09:38:01 AM »

A happy ending...

I'm pleased.

But if they're that precious, maybe scan them and keep a copy?

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1852 on: April 13, 2023, 11:35:20 AM »

The Young UN's at Shoreham Ropetackle last night. Absolutely outstanding, largely because of the irrepressible force of nature that is David Eagle.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1853 on: April 13, 2023, 12:03:32 PM »

The Young UN's at Shoreham Ropetackle last night. Absolutely outstanding, largely because of the irrepressible force of nature that is David Eagle.

I'm hoping to catch them at Towersey this summer. I saw them in Lancaster a few years back but it looks like the nearest gig to me on this tour is Manchester. Sadly the Dukes Theatre where they played is no longer putting gigs on - seems to have been a post-Covid change. We have a new venue in town called Kanteena but it's mainly rock and indie bands that play there.

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1854 on: April 15, 2023, 09:48:23 AM »

Maddy Prior and The Carnival Band - Church and Tavern Tour - Abergavenny. This was a fun evening, with Maddy and the band looking back at ordinary working people's musical shenanigans over approx 300 years. Lots of amusing tales and wonderful music. Really enjoyable.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
PJayBe

« Reply #1855 on: April 22, 2023, 11:29:20 AM »

After an enforced absence from gigs to an injury the missus picked up, twas great to get back into it last night with the mighty Ian Prowse & Amsterdam in Leeds.  Stonking night.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1856 on: April 30, 2023, 06:02:55 PM »

Dean Friedman at Acapela Studios on Friday.

I think he was suffering from a cold as his voice sounded a bit strained on the higher notes, and a large patterned handkerchief made an appearance! He still managed to bring humour, pathos, warmth, emotion and a longing for my youth to his music! I think this is because he sang a lot from his first album, written when he was just starting out and it reminded me of when I was 19, just left home and wondering whether to spend my last few quid on food or a few bottle of Newcy Brown!!

Happy times  Smiley  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1857 on: May 01, 2023, 09:23:58 AM »

Not music but fairly close - Danny Baker at Lytham Lowther Pavilion. Almost 3 1/2 hours of non stop storytelling with the most incredible range of characters. Very funny, the evening flew by. I know it is meant to be a swan song, but there are so many more stories he alluded to that there must surely be another tour.
PJayBe

« Reply #1858 on: May 01, 2023, 04:35:09 PM »

The great Nearly Dan last night in Clitheroe.  Fantastic gig that I could walk home from!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1859 on: May 05, 2023, 08:44:02 AM »

Kate Rusby last night here in Belfast as part the Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival. The gig itself was in a large tent, no opener. I was trying to remember exactly when it was I heard of Kate the first time, and it is at least 25 years at this point. So to finally get to Belfast for the first time (loving it so far by the way) and to see Kate for the first time live was special. Her band was amazing-didn't catch all the names but Damien and Sam Kelly were brilliant. If you had asked me if I expected to see her on a stage with a Moog, drum kit and up to 3 electric guitars I would have never believed you, but the results were fabulous. Songs were mostly from the reworked versions on 30, her covers album, and bits of things from across the years. And the end sing song of Blooming Heather/Wild Mountain Thyme was pure magic.

Well worth arranging my travel plans for!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: