TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830180 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1800 on: November 22, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »

An excellent weekend just passed. Friday was Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit supported by James Walbourne's rock and roll trio His Lordship. Three superb guitarists on show and a fantastic night. Another one ticked on my bucket list. Sunday was the always wonderful Merry Hell including the new Swarb for the first time for me. Surprised I've not seen him before anywhere, he uses a lot more effects than Neil did, more Ric than Chris! probably the longest set I've seen Merry Hell do. All this followed by Englands performance last night. Not bad.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1801 on: November 23, 2022, 09:56:34 AM »

Last night was Jazz Sabbath - Adam Wakeman on grand piano (why did I hear that in Viv Stanshall's voice?  Grin), Ashley Soan on drums and Jerry Meehan on upright double bass. A superb evening of exactly what it says on the tin - Sabbath played jazz. Loved it  Kiss

Those who don't know the history of the band should seek it out - such plagiarism!

I was rather less impressed with Jazz Sabbath. I thought a lot of it sounded very samey and the drummer bashing out the same chumpety-chump beat on the cymbals song after song was very wearing. The only tune I liked was the 9-minte version of "Paranoid".
And I thought the attempts at humour fell flat on their faces. Leave it to your dad, Adam.
On the other hand, the support act, Billy Watman, was excellent - reminded me of Tommy Emmanuel. I recommend checking him out on YouTube.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1802 on: November 23, 2022, 10:23:00 AM »

As to Bellowhead, they play large venues, charge ~£40 a seat and don't pay merch percentages to venues. Although I don't know what the arrangements are for paying venues, but if you take Sunday, there were about 1900 seats in use, which is roughly £76,000. If you take away half for venue costs and travel etc, that leaves £38,000 for 11 band members and ~8 crew, which would equate to £2,000 each per night, except of course they don't all get paid the same amount (even if the band do, the crew don't). This 18 gig, one month tour would equate to £684,000 which would equate to £36,000 each (except of course they still don't all get paid the same amount).

All the above is pure conjecture and impure maths.

I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if the band members are earning £36k each from this tour.  Divide by ten might be closer to the reality I'd have thought, but yeah...all conjecture.  

Please illustrate where my calculations are flabbergastingly, obviously, wrong.

I didn't say obviously ffs and I agreed it was all conjecture.  What neither of us has the vaguest clue about is what percentage the 'band' and the individual band members get from that take.  I think you know all this really.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1803 on: November 23, 2022, 10:49:05 AM »

Last night was Jazz Sabbath - Adam Wakeman on grand piano (why did I hear that in Viv Stanshall's voice?  Grin), Ashley Soan on drums and Jerry Meehan on upright double bass. A superb evening of exactly what it says on the tin - Sabbath played jazz. Loved it  Kiss

Those who don't know the history of the band should seek it out - such plagiarism!

I was rather less impressed with Jazz Sabbath. I thought a lot of it sounded very samey and the drummer bashing out the same chumpety-chump beat on the cymbals song after song was very wearing. The only tune I liked was the 9-minte version of "Paranoid".
And I thought the attempts at humour fell flat on their faces. Leave it to your dad, Adam.
On the other hand, the support act, Billy Watman, was excellent - reminded me of Tommy Emmanuel. I recommend checking him out on YouTube.
I recognised Billy immediately from Guitar Star (Sky Arts) a talented lad.

I agree a lot was samey - Adam uses the same chords and chord progressions a lot. I prefer him with Damien Wilson.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1804 on: November 23, 2022, 11:02:38 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f0M7Xz03O4

Grin

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1805 on: November 23, 2022, 11:29:13 AM »

That's a no. Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1806 on: November 23, 2022, 03:34:41 PM »

Well it’s a yes from me! I loved it, I’m off to find some more Brown Sabbath!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1807 on: November 23, 2022, 03:57:01 PM »

Well it’s a yes from me! I loved it, I’m off to find some more Brown Sabbath!  Cheesy

Brown Sabbath is the alter ego of Austin's own Brownout, which itself is the alter ego of Austin's own Grammy-winning Latin fusion orchestra Grupo Fantasma, minus a few players and plus a different singer.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #1808 on: December 12, 2022, 11:24:08 AM »

Billy Watman has been busy recently - he was also supporting Magnum on Saturday.

I went to this gig partly as a nostalgia trip, and with relatively low expectations. But Magnum were excellent - Bob Catley's voice is standing up pretty well for a 75 year old (supported by clever use of backing vocals), and Tony Clarkin's guitar playing is as strong as ever.  Factor in a pretty good set list and a crowd up for a singalong, and a good night was had by all.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1809 on: December 13, 2022, 04:10:07 PM »

Annual Ian Prowse and Amsterdam Christmas show in Liverpool on Saturday. What a night! Superb show, and an electric atmosphere (World Cup didn't even get mentioned). Normal line up augmented by 4 piece brass section and additional fiddle player. Probably my best gig of the year.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1810 on: December 13, 2022, 04:32:43 PM »

Annual Ian Prowse and Amsterdam Christmas show in Liverpool on Saturday. What a night! Superb show, and an electric atmosphere (World Cup didn't even get mentioned). Normal line up augmented by 4 piece brass section and additional fiddle player. Probably my best gig of the year.

I really wish I 'got' the whole Amsterdam/Pele thing.  |It sounds as though I should do, but what little I do know doesn't really set my pulses flowing...what's the gateway drug?

Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1811 on: December 13, 2022, 05:36:19 PM »

Try the lead song off current album - Battle, that’s a good place to start. Got to say, the live performances are more remarkable than the records though.
PJayBe

« Reply #1812 on: December 14, 2022, 07:11:32 AM »

It was an inspirational night, songs sung, tears flowed, jaw aching from smiling, feet and knees knackered from dancing.  Was the 9th time we've seen Ian this year (8 headliners and 1 support) and he never disappoints!
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1813 on: December 14, 2022, 11:09:01 PM »

The Longest Johns at the old firehouse, Bournemouth, just now. What a fantastic night! Brilliant shanties, stirring folk-rock and a great atmosphere in a full venue. Call me a sentimental old git, but it was wonderful to see so many young (under 25s) people dancing about and singing along to traditional songs. Makes me happy to know that folk music (and variations therein) is surviving and thriving amongst youngsters, and hopefully has a long and vibrant future. Would recommend the Longest Johns with no reservations.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1814 on: December 15, 2022, 08:51:45 AM »

Would recommend the Longest Johns with no reservations.

Yes, we saw them at Shrewsbury last year. Great fun!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1815 on: December 15, 2022, 12:30:04 PM »

The Longest Johns at the old firehouse, Bournemouth, just now. What a fantastic night! Brilliant shanties, stirring folk-rock and a great atmosphere in a full venue. Call me a sentimental old git, but it was wonderful to see so many young (under 25s) people dancing about and singing along to traditional songs. Makes me happy to know that folk music (and variations therein) is surviving and thriving amongst youngsters, and hopefully has a long and vibrant future. Would recommend the Longest Johns with no reservations.

Like you, I was amazed at a packed venue - when we arrived, the queue to get in was about two hundred yards long! - and finding myself one of the oldest people in the room, which is rare, even these days, at folk gigs.

The band were excellent. Full of energy, with terrific vocal & musicianship. Highly recommended. A big shout out to the support act, El Pony Pisador too. They were equally good, I thought. I'd be happy to see them headline a show, another time.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1816 on: December 19, 2022, 10:27:42 PM »

The Icicle Works at Liverpool Academy on Saturday. What a great way to end this year's gigging, wonderful show, sang myself hoarse
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1817 on: December 19, 2022, 11:26:52 PM »

The Icicle Works at Liverpool Academy on Saturday. What a great way to end this year's gigging, wonderful show, sang myself hoarse

Hollow Hoarse?   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1818 on: December 20, 2022, 09:56:52 AM »

I really wish I 'got' the whole Amsterdam/Pele thing.  |It sounds as though I should do, but what little I do know doesn't really set my pulses flowing...what's the gateway drug?

My gateway was a friend who is a huge fan and has been for 30 years. He gave me a copy of Ian's Who Loves You Baby album and I would recommend that as a good way in, especially the track I Did It For Love. He then took me to a gig and I was an absolute convert.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1819 on: December 20, 2022, 11:51:24 AM »

After two years and ten months I finally got to my first two gigs since before the pandemic over the weekend. This wasn't entirely down to reticence. I did have two gigs booked earlier in the year which I miissed through illness and injury respectively.

Anyway, on Sunday it was the Worthing Philharmonic Orchestra's Christmas Concert which was a lovely festive way to start Christmas week even if there was a mad dash in the torrential rain to make it in in time for Nine Lessons & Carols at my mother's local church afterwards.

Perhaps more notable was A Winter Union at Otford Memorial Hall on Friday. Of all the seasonal bands, I really love this one. I was at their previous gig at this venue in 2018. It was one of the best gigs of any sort that I have ever been to and I was delighted when they released some of it as a live album the following year. I was really looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. An absolute joy from start to finish and a perfect warmer from the outside temperature of -6 and the snow that was all around (now gone). It was a 120 mile round trip, driving home through thick freezing fog on the M23 but totally worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: