TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:03:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830091 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1760 on: October 28, 2022, 09:44:03 AM »

Last night's shenanigans - high class hard rock/Americana from Ginger Wildheart & The Sinners at The Wedgewood Rooms.
A proper gig with proper tools of rock 'n roll - Ludwig drums, Les Pauls, Telecasters and leopard print guitar cabs. Great songs and harmonies - including the beefiest versions of Little Feat's "Willin'" and The Band's perennial chestnut "The Weight" I've heard in years.
Very decent opening sets too from the brilliantly retro Marc Valentine & his band, and the superb Boss Caine.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1761 on: October 28, 2022, 10:48:32 AM »

Last night's shenanigans - high class hard rock/Americana from Ginger Wildheart & The Sinners at The Wedgewood Rooms.
A proper gig with proper tools of rock 'n roll - Ludwig drums, Les Pauls, Telecasters and leopard print guitar cabs. Great songs and harmonies - including the beefiest versions of Little Feat's "Willin'" and The Band's perennial chestnut "The Weight" I've heard in years.
Very decent opening sets too from the brilliantly retro Marc Valentine & his band, and the superb Boss Caine.

My old chum Tanya (who works at the Wedge) was raving about this on her social media.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1762 on: October 28, 2022, 05:31:13 PM »

Eighth Annual Austin City Limits Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, last night, ACL Live!

Inductees were Lubbock, Texas legend Joe Ely and national treasure Sheryl Crow. Guest artists were the other 2/3ds of the Flatlanders (Jimmie Dale Gilmore and Butch Hancock), Rodney Crowell, Marcia Ball, Jason Isbell, half of Lucius (the other half bowed out for illness), Brittney Spencer, and the inspirational Brandi Carlile.

A great time was had by all. This show was filmed and should air on public television in the U.S. in January. Can't be missed.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1763 on: November 03, 2022, 03:26:17 PM »

Bonnie Raitt / Marc Cohn, ACL Live, last night!

Mrs. J From A recollects that her first Bonnie Raitt show was Saturday, November 26, 1977, at Willie Nelson's long-gone Austin Opry House. The opening act was (drumroll) Muddy Waters.

I can't top that (recall that my wife's first concert was Jimi Hendrix in February 1968, whereas mine was Joe Walsh in 1981), but last night was very special. I was struck by how many songs Bonnie didn't play. In no particular order, we got "Nick of Time," "Something to Talk About," "I Can't Make You Love Me," "Used to Rule the World," "Have a Heart," "Love Sneakin' Up On You," and "Angel From Montgomery" (dedicated to the late John Prine - "I can't believe I will never get to sing this with him again"), and three or four songs from the new album. Marc Cohn joined her for a duet on a great song I didn't recognize. His opening set was terrific, even as the crowd recognized only "Walking in Memphis." It's a credit to his skill and charisma that the audience chatter died down after his first song.

Bonnie gave shout outs to numerous local lights sprinkled throughout the audience, including Shawn Colvin, Lou Ann Barton, Alejandro Escovedo, bassist Sarah Brown, Austin City Limits leader Terry Lickona, music writer John T. Davis, and others. She repeatedly expressed her affection for Austin. She also pledged to continue at least as long as her father, who did his last tour at age 85. She apologized to the folks seated to the sides of the stage ("I'm sorry you can't see me, my hair is covering my face. My mother would say "Cut your bangs so we can see your pretty face.") A lovely evening.

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #1764 on: November 03, 2022, 05:21:25 PM »

Blackbeard's Tea Party....Kick the Curb tour.

Always liked them, but they have matured into a classy Folk Rock band.

Powerful and full of invention and fun. Catch this tour if you can. You won't be disappointed.

An extra curriculum highlight at Oswestry was Stuarts Acca Pello Turpin Hero after the gig by the Merch stall.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1765 on: November 04, 2022, 03:49:03 PM »

Wishbone Ash at the Lowther Pavilion in Lytham. Tour to promote the 50th anniversary of Argus which they played (very well) in full. Good evening and great to see the theatre full. Based on Andy Powell’s praise for the venue, they will be back.

Interesting to hear there will be a remixed anniversary set of Argus coming out in the New Year and all the involved parties buried the hatchet to work on it. (We didn’t find out where they buried it - good to hear that they were able to throw down the sword though!)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1766 on: November 04, 2022, 06:00:33 PM »

Wishbone Ash at the Lowther Pavilion in Lytham. Tour to promote the 50th anniversary of Argus which they played (very well) in full. Good evening and great to see the theatre full. Based on Andy Powell’s praise for the venue, they will be back.

Interesting to hear there will be a remixed anniversary set of Argus coming out in the New Year and all the involved parties buried the hatchet to work on it. (We didn’t find out where they buried it - good to hear that they were able to throw down the sword though!)

Hadn't heard that.  I bet they weren't in the same room together!  Still, it's good news.  Martin's Argus through the looking glass album is brilliant btw...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1767 on: November 05, 2022, 11:03:10 AM »

Excellent Zappa tribute The Treacherous Cretins in Southsea last night.
Well worth keeping an eye on if Zappa's your bag - they played the music with great skill and affection. It was heartening to see the band featuring, to use the football analogy, a blend of youth and experience (mind boggling guitarist Sam Ward is 22 !).
Currently plugging the Zappa-shaped gap left by the current hiatus of The Muffin Men (who went down a storm the two occasions they played at Cropredy), I'd love to see them again.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1768 on: November 07, 2022, 10:22:53 AM »

We had a trip up to Glasgow at the weekend to see Martin Stephenson and his latest line-up of Daintees at the Oran Mor. Nice venue, not been there before. It was the first time I'd seen him with a band in a long time and he told us the drummer was the grandson of the original Daintees drummer. Keeping it in the musical family I suppose.

They were on good form and rattled thru the hits including Look Down Look Down, Running Water, Slaughterman and ended with Boat to Bolivia. MrsB said to me afterwards, does he always swear so much when he's with the band? I said not that I remember and suggested it was for the Glasgow crowd.  Grin

They're playing Liverpool on Friday and have various other dates this month - https://daintees.co.uk/shows

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1769 on: November 07, 2022, 01:08:15 PM »

Were the Dunn brothers back playing with the Daintees?
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1770 on: November 07, 2022, 01:56:37 PM »

Dylan in Oxford last Friday - as good as the reviews say, plus some celeb spotting including Guy from LJE and Harry Potter / Doctor Who actor David Bradley.

DW
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1771 on: November 07, 2022, 03:06:53 PM »

China Crisis at Cardiff's Acapela Studios on Saturday.

Their music was excellent, I'd been playing it all week so I think I knew just about everything they played, except some very early tracks they wrote when they were still in school - you could tell they were huge Steely Dan fans Smiley

I think it's fair to say political correctness has passed them by though... They weren't quite Bernard Manning, but as Gary Daley said quite a few times during his anecdotes  "I can't get away with saying that any more!"  Roll Eyes  great concert, will probably book to see them next year too at the same venue

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1772 on: November 07, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »

Were the Dunn brothers back playing with the Daintees?

He's got Gary on lead guitar.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

« Reply #1773 on: November 08, 2022, 12:52:06 PM »

Thanks, looking forward to seeing them in Birmingham in a couple of weeks.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1774 on: November 14, 2022, 10:54:05 AM »

We had a trip up to Glasgow at the weekend to see Martin Stephenson and his latest line-up of Daintees at the Oran Mor. Nice venue, not been there before. It was the first time I'd seen him with a band in a long time and he told us the drummer was the grandson of the original Daintees drummer. Keeping it in the musical family I suppose.

They were on good form and rattled thru the hits including Look Down Look Down, Running Water, Slaughterman and ended with Boat to Bolivia. MrsB said to me afterwards, does he always swear so much when he's with the band? I said not that I remember and suggested it was for the Glasgow crowd.  Grin

They're playing Liverpool on Friday and have various other dates this month - https://daintees.co.uk/shows

Just to note that John Perry (the Only Ones) states on FB that he's joining MS for the Birmingham, Milton Keynes, Cardiff, Swansea, Bristol shows

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1775 on: November 14, 2022, 11:56:58 AM »

Thea Gilmore at The Acapela, Pentyrch, last night. No matter how many times I see Thea, she always manages to surprise. Some new songs and a great mixture of old favourites, including a completely new arrangement of 'This Girl is Taking Bets' and the first (for me) live performance of her version of 'Bad Moon Rising'. A great evening - she just gets better.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1776 on: November 16, 2022, 11:22:05 AM »

Wishbone Ash at Gloucester Guildhall last night (the Andy Powell-led configuration); excellent - an hour or so of new (more tunes, less blues-boogie) and older material, and after the intermission, the Argus album played in full, followed by FUBB and an encore of Blowin' Free.  New-ish guitarist Mark Abrahams has brought a new dimension to the sound, particularly his use of "lap" steel guitar on the new material.  I'd like to see this iteration at Cropredy - I think they'd go down well.  Mind you, Martin Turner's band would be good value for the field.

(As an aside, I read somewhere that Toyah & Fripp may be planning some festival appearances next summer for their "Sunday Lunch" programme, ahead of an autumn tour...)

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1777 on: November 16, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »

(As an aside, I read somewhere that Toyah & Fripp may be planning some festival appearances next summer for their "Sunday Lunch" programme, ahead of an autumn tour...)

I've already said somewhere that they're a shoe-in for Cropredy next year.  Bob was so complimentary about the festival/organisation that I'd be amazed if conversations hadn't taken place.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1778 on: November 16, 2022, 01:34:13 PM »

I've already said somewhere that they're a shoe-in for Cropredy next year.  Bob was so complimentary about the festival/organisation that I'd be amazed if conversations hadn't taken place.

If Toyah replicates the outfits they will need to get a few defibrillators on the field!!

DW
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1779 on: November 16, 2022, 09:52:09 PM »

If Toyah replicates the outfits they will need to get a few defibrillators on the field!!

DW

Yes, it would be a problem if somebody had a stroke.

Paul

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: