TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:20:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830141 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1740 on: October 21, 2022, 09:10:50 PM »

Ukulele Orchestra of GB last night - tremendous musical abilities, amazing (re-)arrangements of many genres of music, from AbbA via Handel to ZZ Top.  But while appreciating all that, it left me a little cold - the introductions seemed to be following a script, and even the onstage " banter" seemed forced.  Oh well..........
We saw them last year and said the same. It was a postponed gig and I wondered if they just wanted to get them out of the way as they would only get the pre-Covid fee for it. Or maybe they’re just getting a little stale? It definitely missed that earlier spark

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Sue & Chris

« Reply #1741 on: October 22, 2022, 08:54:24 AM »

Nerina Pallott.

Enjoyed this concert very much.  A contemporary artist i actually like, which us a rare thing, my friends. There's a shade of early Elton John to her music, and one near copy of a EJ piano intro, which in fairness to Ms Pallott, she owns up to.

I really like Nerina Pallot, although I've lost track of her over the last few years. I didn't realise that she was touring or had a new album out - that's this morning's listening sorted (and also the beauty of this board!)

'Everybody's Going to War' is a great anti-war song and as resonant now as ever.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #1742 on: October 22, 2022, 09:04:43 AM »

Fairport last night in Honiton. Wonderful gig, all the lads were on top form (although Gerry was a bit quiet!) Chap sitting next to me hadn't seen them since the 1990s and was actually crying with emotion he was so moved by their performance.  Ric's routines had everybody in stitches Great evening.

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1743 on: October 22, 2022, 09:53:17 AM »

Unthanks last night at Band on the Wall, one of my favourite venues. Got there for 8pm expecting to have missed half an hour, only to find that the start had been delayed and we'd only missed half of the first song.

They were utterly sublime. Just mesmerising.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #1744 on: October 22, 2022, 10:40:25 AM »

Fairport last night in Honiton. Wonderful gig, all the lads were on top form (although Gerry was a bit quiet!) Chap sitting next to me hadn't seen them since the 1990s and was actually crying with emotion he was so moved by their performance.  Ric's routines had everybody in stitches Great evening.

I thought Gerry had left?
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #1745 on: October 22, 2022, 11:00:08 AM »

I thought Gerry had left?

He has that's why he was quiet!
PJayBe

« Reply #1746 on: October 22, 2022, 02:47:19 PM »

Unthanks last night at Band on the Wall, one of my favourite venues. Got there for 8pm expecting to have missed half an hour, only to find that the start had been delayed and we'd only missed half of the first song.

They were utterly sublime. Just mesmerising.

Truly amazing.  A tear never far from my eye.  Surely the only band who can go from King Crimson to clogdancing in consecutive songs!!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1747 on: October 23, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »

Nerina Pallott.

Enjoyed this concert very much.  A contemporary artist i actually like, which us a rare thing, my friends. There's a shade of early Elton John to her music, and one near copy of a EJ piano intro, which in fairness to Ms Pallott, she owns up to.

I really like Nerina Pallot, although I've lost track of her over the last few years. I didn't realise that she was touring or had a new album out - that's this morning's listening sorted (and also the beauty of this board!)

'Everybody's Going to War' is a great anti-war song and as resonant now as ever.

Yes.  She didn't play 'Everybody's going to war', but she did a few other songs with guitar.  
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1748 on: October 24, 2022, 07:45:44 AM »

The Unthanks in Hexham yesterday afternoon.  Second time in 5 days for us after Chester on Wednesday.  It was an absolute joy to behold to see them on home territory and we got a local song (not that one) as an encore...

I know from experience they are a bit marmite, but to my ears they're one of the best bands, and one of the best live acts on the planet.  Very few musicians get straight to my heart like they do.  Unashamed tears of joy and melancholy from me.  Brilliant.

Oh, and if you're ever in Hexham on a Sunday do head to the Beaumont for Sunday Lunch.  If your bank account's deeper than ours then I'd also suggest going other times of the week, but it's the only time us peasants can afford it.  Yum yum.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JohnP69

« Reply #1749 on: October 25, 2022, 08:39:02 AM »

John Cale York Barbican last night (Monday 25th)

Only decided to go at the last minute and so pleased I did.

Managed to get a front row seat!!

Decent career overview,although no Velvets songs (He played "Waiting For The Man" the night before in Edinburgh)

Finished with his version of "Heartbreak Hotel"

Well worth checking out.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1750 on: October 25, 2022, 09:23:24 AM »

Decent career overview,although no Velvets songs (He played "Waiting For The Man" the night before in Edinburgh)

Well worth checking out.

We're going to Liverpool on the 11th.  First time I've seen him since Cardiff in '99 which is one of my favourite ever concerts.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JohnP69

« Reply #1751 on: October 25, 2022, 04:58:01 PM »

Well worth checking out.

We're going to Liverpool on the 11th.  First time I've seen him since Cardiff in '99 which is one of my favourite ever concerts.  

You're in for a good night David!!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1752 on: October 26, 2022, 06:58:26 PM »

Yes, the Unthanks were marvellous but there are times when you just need a dose of heavy rock and Deep Purple were great last night. Starting with Highway Star was like dropping the needle on to the first side of Made in Japan back in the  Sixth Form common room. Took me back almost 50 years. And the opening riff to Smoke on the Water must be like what feeling a defibrillator is like!

BOC were OK  - bit generic heavy rock and not a lot of character, but could have been the venue and all the people milling about. Reaper was great though.

Same bands last night in Brum: agree BOC were rather generic - Godzilla was good, their new "train song" was great, IMO, but Reaper - they cocked up the bridge/break towards the end; overall 6.5/10.

DP - well, I thought instrumentally they were excellent, but I'm afraid I think it's time Ian Gillan bowed out gracefully - his voice obviously no longer has the power or range of his prime, but (maybe his in-ear monitors were malfunctioning?) he was consistently singing 'flat' when coming in after a guitar/keys solo.  And Ian Paice's drum fills lacked the precision of HIS prime. Simon (gtr), Don Airey (keys) and - particularly - Roger Glover (bass - not that I'm biased Wink )were great! 7/10

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1753 on: October 26, 2022, 09:00:46 PM »

Yes, the Unthanks were marvellous but there are times when you just need a dose of heavy rock and Deep Purple were great last night. Starting with Highway Star was like dropping the needle on to the first side of Made in Japan back in the  Sixth Form common room. Took me back almost 50 years. And the opening riff to Smoke on the Water must be like what feeling a defibrillator is like!

BOC were OK  - bit generic heavy rock and not a lot of character, but could have been the venue and all the people milling about. Reaper was great though.

Same bands last night in Brum: agree BOC were rather generic - Godzilla was good, their new "train song" was great, IMO, but Reaper - they cocked up the bridge/break towards the end; overall 6.5/10.

DP - well, I thought instrumentally they were excellent, but I'm afraid I think it's time Ian Gillan bowed out gracefully - his voice obviously no longer has the power or range of his prime, but (maybe his in-ear monitors were malfunctioning?) he was consistently singing 'flat' when coming in after a guitar/keys solo.  And Ian Paice's drum fills lacked the precision of HIS prime. Simon (gtr), Don Airey (keys) and - particularly - Roger Glover (bass - not that I'm biased Wink )were great! 7/10

I didn't know Steve Morse had gone but Simon McBride is class, isn't he?

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1754 on: October 26, 2022, 09:22:54 PM »

I didn't know Steve Morse had gone but Simon McBride is class, isn't he?

He's nursing his terminally ill wife, I think....

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1755 on: October 26, 2022, 10:58:49 PM »

DP - well, I thought instrumentally they were excellent, but I'm afraid I think it's time Ian Gillan bowed out gracefully - his voice obviously no longer has the power or range of his prime, but (maybe his in-ear monitors were malfunctioning?) he was consistently singing 'flat' when coming in after a guitar/keys solo.  

Ian Gillan is 77. Few voices remain in tip-top condition at that age.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1756 on: October 27, 2022, 07:53:49 AM »

DP - well, I thought instrumentally they were excellent, but I'm afraid I think it's time Ian Gillan bowed out gracefully - his voice obviously no longer has the power or range of his prime, but (maybe his in-ear monitors were malfunctioning?) he was consistently singing 'flat' when coming in after a guitar/keys solo.  

The last album of theirs I heard, Whoosh!, was excellent because it worked for Ian's current voice, much like Percy's albums work for his current voice.  Singing old material in the same way as you did 50 years ago is never going to end well... Pity though.  And I'm very sad to hear the fairly universal response to BOC, who I love but sound like they are a shadow of their former selves.  Europe gets/got? the David Freiburg led Jefferson Starship as support.  Sounds like it might have been more fun.

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1757 on: October 27, 2022, 01:00:11 PM »

Joshua Burnell band at Cecil Sharp House yesterday ... moving a bit more into the "intelligent pop" category but still plenty of folk-rock and really excellent. Catch them at Brighton today (Thursday), Milton Keynes on Friday and Bristol on Saturday.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1758 on: October 27, 2022, 06:02:50 PM »

The last album of theirs I heard, Whoosh!, was excellent because it worked for Ian's current voice, much like Percy's albums work for his current voice.  Singing old material in the same way as you did 50 years ago is never going to end well... Pity though.  And I'm very sad to hear the fairly universal response to BOC, who I love but sound like they are a shadow of their former selves.  Europe gets/got? the David Freiburg led Jefferson Starship as support.  Sounds like it might have been more fun.

The DP set did include some of the newer songs - and you're right David - those were much more suitable for Ian's voice today.  Another thing about BOC - Eric Bloom and Don Roeser are tiny - apparently only about 5'2"-5'4" - on their feet (not on their knees...)

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1759 on: October 27, 2022, 07:07:25 PM »

The DP set did include some of the newer songs - and you're right David - those were much more suitable for Ian's voice today.  Another thing about BOC - Eric Bloom and Don Roeser are tiny - apparently only about 5'2"-5'4" - on their feet (not on their knees...)

I had to think who you meant there...Buck!  Surely, only his Ma called him Don? Wink Grin

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: