TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:36:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 830651 times)
Peter Allen

« Reply #1720 on: October 13, 2022, 04:05:21 PM »

pleased you enjoyed it Jim , many would say the first Roxy Music Lp is the finest debut LP by any British group ever
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1721 on: October 14, 2022, 12:52:03 AM »

Peatbog Faeries at the Welfare, Ystradgynlais, were all we could have hoped for: lively, loud and really enjoyable.

Not sure how many from Cropredy 2012 survive, but Tom Salter & Innes Hutton certainly have and played up a storm tonight.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PJayBe

« Reply #1722 on: October 14, 2022, 04:24:18 PM »

Roxy Music last night at the Manchester Enormodrome.  

Apart from the remarkably uncomfortable seats, the lack if leg room and the talkers next to me, twas a truly fab night.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1723 on: October 14, 2022, 08:15:29 PM »

Peatbog Faeries at the Welfare, Ystradgynlais, were all we could have hoped for: lively, loud and really enjoyable.

Not sure how many from Cropredy 2012 survive, but Tom Salter & Innes Hutton certainly have and played up a storm tonight.

Peter Morrison, Ross Cooper, Innes and Tom are all Cropredy stalwarts, they now have a second fiddler/guitarist, and new keyboards/sax player and drummer.  All recent recruits, I saw them a month or two back in Manchester.  Still decent night out

The Dude abides
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1724 on: October 15, 2022, 04:29:57 PM »

A wonderful Sea Power gig at the Sugarmill in Hanley last night. You were right David, I didn't see any mention of it beforehand but Abi was absent on sheep minding duty so just the five piece. Tom White stepped in at the last minute to dep for Woody who has Covid and did an excellent job with hardly any rehearsal.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1725 on: October 15, 2022, 05:31:42 PM »

A wonderful Sea Power gig at the Sugarmill in Hanley last night. You were right David, I didn't see any mention of it beforehand but Abi was absent on sheep minding duty so just the five piece. Tom White stepped in at the last minute to dep for Woody who has Covid and did an excellent job with hardly any rehearsal.

Sue just told me that.  Hope nobody else in the gang goes down with it...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1726 on: October 15, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »

Sue just told me that.  Hope nobody else in the gang goes down with it...

Getting Tom in at the last minute saved the tour, so fingers crossed for the others.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1727 on: October 16, 2022, 02:03:22 PM »

Caravan at Epstein theatre, liverpool last night.

It was my first time at the Epstein. Wonderful theatre, its so ornate it really is like stepping back in time.

Caravan were superb. They are known for their whimsical jazzy style, but by crikey they can rock when they want to.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1728 on: October 16, 2022, 10:38:34 PM »

Caravan at Epstein theatre, liverpool last night.

It was my first time at the Epstein. Wonderful theatre, its so ornate it really is like stepping back in time.

Caravan were superb. They are known for their whimsical jazzy style, but by crikey they can rock when they want to.

Off to Google if they’re coming anywhere near me. I loved them at Cropredy 2019 (can it really have been that long ago??) and I’d love to see them again.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #1729 on: October 18, 2022, 04:22:20 PM »

I saw The Unthanks at Drapers' Hall in Coventry at the weekend. This was supposed to be at Warwick Uni, but the Arts centre cancelled it due to lack of staff.

The band rebooked it as two shows in the Hall.

It was absolutely brilliant!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1730 on: October 18, 2022, 06:36:56 PM »

Doobie Brothers, Tobin Center, San Antonio, October 8!

This show was near the end of the long-delayed 50th anniversary tour with Michael McDonald. They ceded virtuoso Bill Payne back to Little Feat after the first leg, so Michael brilliantly covered all the keyboard parts. They dropped about six tunes from leg one, but added two gorgeous Tom Johnston songs old and new ("Another Park, Another Sunday" from 1974 and "Easy" from their latest album).

It was a fantastic show and I consider myself privileged to have seen them live, in this configuration (with all three primary singer/songwriters in attendance), as many times as I have (Hollywood Bowl 1987, Starplex Amphitheater, Dallas 1995, Freeman Coliseum, San Antonio 1997, Toyota Music Factory, Irving 2021 and Tobin Center, San Antonio 2022). Toss in McDonald solo shows, a tour with Steely Dan, the Dukes of September (with Boz Skaggs and Donald Fagan) and a 2004 political fundraiser featuring Michael, Pat Simmons, Bonnie Raitt and Willie Nelson, and this makes over 40 Doobie and Doobie-adjacent shows in my history. I wish it could go on forever.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1731 on: October 18, 2022, 11:43:07 PM »

Doobie Brothers, Tobin Center, San Antonio, October 8!

This show was near the end of the long-delayed 50th anniversary tour with Michael McDonald. They ceded virtuoso Bill Payne back to Little Feat after the first leg, so Michael brilliantly covered all the keyboard parts. They dropped about six tunes from leg one, but added two gorgeous Tom Johnston songs old and new ("Another Park, Another Sunday" from 1974 and "Easy" from their latest album).

It was a fantastic show and I consider myself privileged to have seen them live, in this configuration (with all three primary singer/songwriters in attendance), as many times as I have (Hollywood Bowl 1987, Starplex Amphitheater, Dallas 1995, Freeman Coliseum, San Antonio 1997, Toyota Music Factory, Irving 2021 and Tobin Center, San Antonio 2022). Toss in McDonald solo shows, a tour with Steely Dan, the Dukes of September (with Boz Skaggs and Donald Fagan) and a 2004 political fundraiser featuring Michael, Pat Simmons, Bonnie Raitt and Willie Nelson, and this makes over 40 Doobie and Doobie-adjacent shows in my history. I wish it could go on forever.
I’m very envious of this. It sounds amazing   Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1732 on: October 19, 2022, 09:11:08 AM »

The Unthanks at Oxford Town Hall. A wonderful evening. Lots from the new album which I am now very much looking forward to listening to. Only dampener on the evening, the lack of a bar.you would think the Council could sort out a licence for their own building!

In a sharp contrast, now for Deep Purple tomorrow.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1733 on: October 19, 2022, 09:15:03 AM »

The Unthanks at Oxford Town Hall. A wonderful evening. Lots from the new album which I am now very much looking forward to listening to. Only dampener on the evening, the lack of a bar.you would think the Council could sort out a licence for their own building!

All being well, we're seeing them at Chester tonight.  Not many bands touch my soul like they do...and the new album is a corker.

Make sure you don't miss the mighty B.O.C....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1734 on: October 20, 2022, 02:18:17 PM »

All being well, we're seeing them at Chester tonight.  Not many bands touch my soul like they do...and the new album is a corker.

Make sure you don't miss the mighty B.O.C....

And bloody marvellous they were too Smiley

David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1735 on: October 21, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »

Yes, the Unthanks were marvellous but there are times when you just need a dose of heavy rock and Deep Purple were great last night. Starting with Highway Star was like dropping the needle on to the first side of Made in Japan back in the  Sixth Form common room. Took me back almost 50 years. And the opening riff to Smoke on the Water must be like what feeling a defibrillator is like!

BOC were OK  - bit generic heavy rock and not a lot of character, but could have been the venue and all the people milling about. Reaper was great though.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1736 on: October 21, 2022, 11:24:47 AM »

Nerina Pallott.

Enjoyed this concert very much.  A contemporary artist i actually like, which us a rare thing, my friends. There's a shade of early Elton John to her music, and one near copy of a EJ piano intro, which in fairness to Ms Pallott, she owns up to.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1737 on: October 21, 2022, 01:05:15 PM »

Ukulele Orchestra of GB last night - tremendous musical abilities, amazing (re-)arrangements of many genres of music, from AbbA via Handel to ZZ Top.  But while appreciating all that, it left me a little cold - the introductions seemed to be following a script, and even the onstage " banter" seemed forced.  Oh well..........

Flobbadob!
PJayBe

« Reply #1738 on: October 21, 2022, 04:18:53 PM »

Yes, the Unthanks were marvellous but there are times when you just need a dose of heavy rock and Deep Purple were great last night. Starting with Highway Star was like dropping the needle on to the first side of Made in Japan back in the  Sixth Form common room. Took me back almost 50 years. And the opening riff to Smoke on the Water must be like what feeling a defibrillator is like!

BOC were OK  - bit generic heavy rock and not a lot of character, but could have been the venue and all the people milling about. Reaper was great though.

Got The Unthanks tonight and Deep Purple on Sunday!  Joshua Burnell sandwiched inbetween.....
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1739 on: October 21, 2022, 04:56:13 PM »

Got The Unthanks tonight and Deep Purple on Sunday!  Joshua Burnell sandwiched inbetween.....

Also got Unthanks tonight but will struggle to get there before the 730 start.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: