TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:58:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Sandy Denny videos  (Read 13859 times)
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 09:53:15 PM »

And if you think the last one was prehistoric try this....called VERA by the BBC. Apparently the reels rotated at about 2000 rpm so you can imagine what happened when the tape snapped!  Grin Grin

Mind you the quality was better than YouTube....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2007, 04:29:50 PM »

The prehistory of video is interesting and sometimes hilarious! See Philips N1500 below, the first errrr.."domestic" recorder. So domestic it used a cooker timer which meant you usually missed half the programme (or overdid the turkey).

I remember we had a video recorder like that when I was at school. I don't think it even had a timer, though, 'cos the French master used to have to go back into school in the evenings to record the sections about France in Kenneth Clark's Civilisation. (Or maybe that's just what he told his wife...)

Anyway. A friend over on the SandyDennyList poses this intriguing question:

"I remember in the Richard Thompson fanzine Hokey Pokey some 10 or more years ago, a mention of a full colour 1974 Fairport Convention New Zealand concert found in NZ's TV archives over there. Then it was never mentioned again.

Anyone know more about this?"

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »

Well, as a current Brum student, Guild TV (as it is now called) does hold an archive of material.   How far it stretches back I have absolutely no idea, and indeed have no idea whether the footage would be there.  But might be worth a look, will see if it's possible for me to have a root around when I go back.

Did our Brum friends ever get a chance to investigate whether the 1974 footage still exists?

Another question. Fairport (incl Sandy) appeared on Dutch television on 16 Jan 1975 (KRO TV - the Van Speyk Show). I assume that footage has been searched for and not found anywhere?

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: