TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foot tappers  (Read 3716 times)
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« on: March 01, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »

So, what is your true opinion of audible foot tapping during a gig? Can you actually hear it?

I was at the Hawth last night and personally found the talkative guy who complained more annoying than the foot tapper.

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Swarb
the fiddler formerly known as grolsch

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

a bit strange wasnt he?
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »

Indeed!

His making comments to his companion during your anecdotes was most annoying. But I was very British and just gave him a hard stare - which he didn't notice.  Roll Eyes

Great gig, by the way, I didn't even notice my bum going numb.

... and I tapped my feet whenever I wanted to (but quietly!)

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Swarb

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »

good for you, I never heard the likes. why did he come in the first place? if he felt able to sit there without tapping his fet, and talking through the anecdotes then why on earth did he pay his money and come.I would rather he had stayed at home with his mum and knitted!
Thor-Rune

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

good for you, I never heard the likes. why did he come in the first place? if he felt able to sit there without tapping his fet, and talking through the anecdotes then why on earth did he pay his money and come.I would rather he had stayed at home with his mum and knitted!

This has often been a big problem here in Norway. On countless occcasions I've gone to see favourite artists of mine playing acoustic gigs and had it ruined by talking idiots. One of the worst occasions was when you and Simon played in Drammen in the winter of 1983. I drove through a blizzard for 150 kilometres and back for that. And these sods ruined the atmosphere. I felt so embarassed for the two of you. You played brilliantly, but I never saw anyone pack up their instrument quite as demonstratively as you did that night. The message was clear: No encore! Those of us who were there for the music was left sad and frustrated.

But after we discussed the proper temperature of real ale for a few minutes you returned to your cheerful self.

Thor-Rune
Swarb

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:25:42 PM »

thankfully it doesnt happen too often now, and last nights bloke onlly really said one thing i heard, and for me at least made no difference to the night, and I am pleased that he was able to be ignored by those close to him
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:13:53 AM »

It's a worldwide phenomenon, I assure you.  I guess just be glad he didn't use his mobile phone while you were playing.....   Angry

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Swarb

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:40:42 AM »

unless he was ordering a cd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: