TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:10:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTB "Dream Attics" UK tour dates.  (Read 50287 times)
Tom Barham
n3wb

Loc: Ruthin

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »

Re the 'Burning Man' Wheel of Sin, I remember seeing Elvis Costello tour King of America in 1986 with the Spectacular Spinning Songbook.  Huge spinning wheel behind the stage.  He's spin it and they'd play whatever song came up out of must have been 50.  It was fantastic, one of the best gigs ever.  Maybe RT should try it!
Tom Barham
n3wb

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »

I also have it on good authority that a certain Christine Collister will be 'warbling away' with RT at the RFH next Weds, you lucky people!  I'd love to hear that!!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »

Maybe RT should try it!

You should suggest it to him on his BeesWeb question and answer postings. I think he does request shows sometimes.

King of America is my favourite Elvis C album. I think I saw him in concert the previous year. With the current trend of bands performing whole albums I'd pay good money to hear King of A from start to finish. Likewise RT doing The Old Kit Bag or Rumor & Sigh.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Tom Barham
n3wb

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »

Maybe RT should try it!

King of America is my favourite Elvis C album. I think I saw him in concert the previous year. With the current trend of bands performing whole albums I'd pay good money to hear King of A from start to finish. Likewise RT doing The Old Kit Bag or Rumor & Sigh.

King of America is the business!  I too would pay good money to see him play it but I guess, like RT, he'd rather focus on new/next than old.  EC did 2 nights in Liverpool in '86, his final gigs with the Attractions first time around,  and the first night was more of a 'greatest hits' gig.  It remains the benchmark for all other gigs, I'm still out of breath from it 24 years on!

When RT did 'Angels took my Racehorse Away' at the Lowry I did mischievously wonder whether he could play Henry the Human Fly in its entirety one day!!!  I'd love to hear him do 'Painted Ladies', 'Old Changing Way' etc after all this time!  Probably no-one else does though!!
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »

I have to agree with Chris and Tim - an absolutely fantastic gig at the Festival Hall last night! Even though Dream Attic is a live album, you can't beat actually hearing the songs live, can you?  There were a couple of moments when I felt my chest might burst.  Crimescene was particularly powerful, as was If Love Whispers Your Name.  Richard was oozing with confidence throughout, chatting to the audience and cracking jokes.  I liked the fact that he introduced the new songs and gave us a little bit of background on each one.  Superb guitar, superb singing and superb support from his band.  It was an expensive gig at £35 but worth every penny!
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2011, 10:37:12 PM »

We did. It wasn't on that set-list.....sorry

No need to apologise - I'm a bit hazy on some of the older stuff so could easily have been mistaken, and completely missed that the opener of "Side 2" was Time Will Show The Wiser. I like the idea of a set list that appears to be merely a guideline. Probably explains why he had to be reminded that they were about to play Crimescene rather than Sidney Wells. I had resort to checking the iPod to see how much of the album had been played so losing Geordie probably wasn't a great loss (for me at least) as I had fogotten all about it.

And ... our tip for exiting the RFH if you are in the stalls, wait a few minutes for the main rush to the exits and then go right down the front and stroll nonchalently out and avoid the crush on the stairs.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:14 AM »

It was interesting to learn that Burning Man was inspired by the Burning Man festival (is that right?) in the States. I'd love to see the wheel of sin!

It was quite obvious from the way RT was describing that festival that he'd been....so I asked him which sin hed got when he tried it...."I'm not telling you...but there were no bodily fluids involved!", was his response at Aylesbury on Monday....

RT does do an annual all-request show in the USA, but I don't think he's ever done one here in the UK. WE keep asking though, maybe one day?

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:16 AM »

I also have it on good authority that a certain Christine Collister will be 'warbling away' with RT at the RFH next Weds, you lucky people!  I'd love to hear that!!

Christine was in the audience on Tuesday - I spoke to her in the ticket collection queue, and again afterwards. It's not next Weds. though - try 2nd February! I have my front row ticket - must practice on my iphone to get a decent photo....I've had my photto pass this tour, and I won't get another....

Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »

Great reviews from Chris and Tim re the RFH gig. Dream Attic wasn't an album that I rated as one of his best but after hearing it's live performance, I must agree, it is amazing...and the power behind Sidney Wells is awesome, Michael Jerome is soooo cool.

Looked out for fellow TAWers but didn't see any, not even Chris who we usually bump into, though did have a pleasant chat to Peggy at the bar. Really wish we could see them again on this tour, lucky you Chris!
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »

Oh, it's definitely worth the outlay on the tickets!

Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »

I too was at the RFH on Tuesday and I'm about to commit heresy....

Overall, excellent.  Great sound - you could actually hear the words!  Not often that you can say that!  Good work from someone.

The "Dream Attic" songs are really strong - my wife came and wanted to know how come she knew all the songs even though she's only heard them once.  Shows how memorable they are.

"Take Care..." is my favourite song off the last album and "...Bright Lights..." is one of my Desert Island Discs, so I was loving the encores.

But.....too much screechy jazz-sax for my liking.  And I'd like the guitar histrionics cut down just a little - a 10-minute freak-out could be trimmed to 6 and we could have had another song.  Mind you, I always point this finger at Bruce and Neil too.  Maybe it's just me.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »

But.....too much screechy jazz-sax for my liking.  

Heresy indeed - the almighty Pete Zorn is beyond question ! Wink Wink
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »

But.....too much screechy jazz-sax for my liking.  

Heresy indeed - the almighty Pete Zorn is beyond question ! Wink Wink

Sorry if it wasn't to your taste Keith but I'm with Dan on this one, Pete Zorn is a terrific player and I thought Richard and the band really rocked at the RFH on Tuesday eve.
I smiled when Richard introduced the band and listed the many instruments Pete was playing, adding " he plays them 'cos he can "  

Round two at Salisbury City Hall tomorrow, can't wait.
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »

See you there Martin. Grin

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »

A good gig at Cambridge last night but........(I'm sure I will be disbarred for this, or struck off for heresy too).... but I think I must be *allergic* to the sound of brass (sax etc). )

I know PZ is great, but for some reason 'brass' almost sets my teeth on edge, (always has, probably always will Undecided) and last night it kept jolting me out of enjoying the rest of the music.  Undecided I found myself relaxing when he picked up a stringy thing.  Roll Eyes  Different tastes/different styles. Wink

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »

Technically  saxophone is woodwind.

Paul

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »

Technically  saxophone is woodwind.

Paul

Caught in the pedant trap!! Not knowing the tecchie details, I just looked at the fact that it was metal and shiny as were some of the other instruments, so made a quick generalisation........ Embarrassed

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »

Look forward to seeing you there Sandra, May I be so bold as to suggest a pre show pint in the Kings Head Inn (Wetherspoons)

For the benefit of anyone who might care to join us and doesn't know this establishment, walking from the gig towards central Salisbury, the pub is on the right hand side of the road adjacent to the river bridge and just as importantly, a mere stones throw from City Hall.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »

Look forward to seeing you there Sandra, May I be so bold as to suggest a pre show pint in the Kings Head Inn (Wetherspoons)

For the benefit of anyone who might care to join us and doesn't know this establishment, walking from the gig towards central Salisbury, the pub is on the right hand side of the road adjacent to the river bridge and just as importantly, a mere stones throw from City Hall.

We are having our meal in Salisbury and may dine at the Kings Head. Certainly hope to have a beer there and see you all. Much cheaper than the theatre bar!
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »

Bristol on Saturday was absolutely spiffing! Is that RT a genius, or what?

The band were superb throughout.

A wonderful experience.

DC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: