TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:11:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport & Osibisa  (Read 4362 times)
K.T.
n3wb

Loc: Norway

« on: May 23, 2009, 06:45:44 PM »

Hi !

Not quite young these days, but still a few months away from turning 50, I experienced the joys of the Babacombe Lee album in 1972.  I guess it was 'The Hanging Song' and 'John Lee' that spawned my attention for Fairport. Now, even a year before that, I stumbled upon a very unfamiliar drum-pattern known as 'Criss Cross Rhytms That Explode With Happiness' aka Osibisa.
To make a long story short, I got the 'Music For Gong Gong' single in 1971 and has been a avid Osibisa fan ever since.  When they turned up at Fairports 30th. anniversary in Cropredy, I was stunned.  Being a drummer myself, this was the missing link to a 30th. celebration of Fairport Convention (thank you..!)
This was my second Osibisa gig (the first in Oslo 1994, but here they were - invited by my favourite band...!!)

Going a bit further in time, their gig at Cropredy was released on cd, and even documented in Ken Russell's film 'In Search Of The English Folksong'.
Me?? I tried to get the album from Amazon and the lot.  I even tried to get it from Teddy Osei & the guys in the band - and Flying Elephants, but no...

Everywhere I go, the Osibisa 'Live At Cropredy' cd is deleted..... everywhere... Undecided

So, I'm turning my rhytmic back to you, dear fellows,

Can anyone help me find back to the grooves of Osibisa that glorious day in the Cropredy field in 1997 ?? Roll Eyes

Best,
KT

peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »

Sorry, can't really help, as I didn't know that Cropredy appearence had ever been recorded, but I was there and yes, it was great. Osibisa had a bit of a "cult following" in South Wales, when I was a young man growing up there in the early 70's. They were a great band- we were always playing their albums, not sure what the connection between African "bush" music and South Wales post-industrial towns was, but there seemed to be a connection of some sort. This was long before the days of Womad and the popularity of "world music."
Interestingly, I was in London a year or two ago, taking my daughter to some heavy metal gig at the Brixton Academy; whilst walking around waiting for their gig to finish, I noticed a billboard, stating that some band featuring "past members of Osibisa" were playing in this Brixton pub. I went in to have a look- unfortunetly, the start time kept getting delayed and delayed, and I had to collect my daughter and her friends- but the couple of numbers I did hear before having to rush off, sounded just like the old band- all swirling organ and janggling guitars, very uplifting music. If I see or hear of the Cropredy recording I will obviously let you know.
K.T.
n3wb

Loc: Norway

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »

Really uplifting post Peter, thanks Smiley

The album was released in 2001 (I belive) by Flying Elephant Records.
Maybe a self-related company?
Rob (Bless Him) would have known the facts. He was there making the Cropredy set that evening.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:28:31 PM by K.T. » Logged
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »

Hello K.T. and welcome
I hope you find what you are looking for here, but can I suggest that it isn't a good idea to put your email address on this part of the board as it can be seen by the whole of the uinternet...

Much better to let people either reply here as a post or reply via the PM/IM method..

Just don't want you to get swamped by spam..... Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: