TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:21:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport film  (Read 37624 times)
postiljon
n3wb

« on: April 06, 2006, 10:35:05 AM »

Does anybody remember the short film Fairport made in 1978 (if I remember right).
It was finally shown at Broughton castle in 81.
I think it was some sort of promotion for Adnams brewery Smiley and was filmed in Southwold.
Swarbrick wasn`t in it and another fiddler (possibly female)took his place.
Anyone know the story behind this? Has onybody got a copy?
Apologies if this has come up before.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »

I think that it was called "In at one end and out of the other"

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
grahamsomers

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:11:32 PM »

I suspect the fiddle-ist was sue draheim
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 07:42:02 PM »

(Alright Graham, long time no see!  Smiley)

I don't think it was Sue Draheim - I know Sue & I think she'd have mentioned it. She'd been back in the States for a few years by then as well.

Not sure who it was though - think I've heard but can't quite drag it out...

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 12:10:34 AM »

I saw Sue last year I think playing fiddle for Tempest. She is no longer in tempset, but she was great in it.  Never heard about the film. I would dearly love all the old FC footage on DVD. No interviews, just songs and footage.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 06:56:09 AM »

If anyone wants to send me a copy of the vid, I can make DVD's. Quality won't improve, but at least it won't deteriorate.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 07:05:36 AM »

If my memory serves me correctly, and that is a bit of an "if" - I thought it was a young Chris Leslie fiddling with the band on this occasion?  I know his association with the band does stretch back that far.  Having never seen the video in question, I can't be sure though.

MH

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 02:14:44 PM »

I suspect the fiddle-ist was sue draheim
Not the age-less Sue, as has been noted. The project was the work of one Luke Jeans, film-maker, who had family connections with Southwold and was a friend of Simon Lofthouse, MD of Adnams. Funding for the short film (largely a tourism puff for the area centring on a period reconstruction of the Battle of Sole Bay when a Dutch Naval raiding party came and made ninnies of an over-refreshed Royal Naval detachment supposeddly guarding that part of the coast) was a bit nebulous at the time of shooting, and Mr Swarbrick, having recently had an interface with the world of more professional film-making, (in fact there is somewhere a featurette starring him as a detective in a movie made by the National Children's Film Unit or somesuch) chose not to come along with Peggy, Bruce and myself. He felt it was a waste of time and too damned amateurish. Nothing daunted, we declared ourselves willing without him so as not to let Luke and Simon down, and between them they came up with the name of a friend of a friend who lived in the area. (That part of the Suffolk Coast has always been a hotbed of Bohemianism...) Sadly, the girl's name now escpes me, but she was pefectly cast (a willowy hippy, good bone structure, long hair etc.) and an adequate player for the music we attempted. I think Peggy had a copy, possibly on VHS but that was a LONG time ago. He's in Brittany currently, perhaps Martin Driver will try to jog his memory......

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »

One to show at Cropredy Huh

Would it be a possibility to show some movie clips of old concerts etc - or is it too technically / logistically demanding/

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
peggy
Deep (good) Egg

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 05:32:46 PM »

Hello,  Peggy here. I do believe that this film was shown at Broughton castle in 1981? I do have a copy of it somewhere, but believe it to be Simon Loftus' property. he owns Adnams Brewery and funded the project. The music was recorded by me in our little studio at Cropredy and was written by myself and a chap called Arthur Conduit who was a double glazing salesmen in Banbury!!!. It featured Chris Leslie and his brother John and we all got involved in the project and performed  for free as we rated Adnams and Simon Loftus as a company. I remember Simon Nicol and I having to climb a drainpipe at our southwold hotel as we had locked ourselves out!! Not an easy task after a dozen or so pints of broadside!.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 05:38:46 PM »

but i bet you wouldnt have done it without the beer inside you

The Dude abides
grahamsomers

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »

Re: other fairport on film...
Yep I remember the film in the marquee thingy at Broughton Castle....nothing about it though
But, have there been any other appearances apart from: Swarbs cameo as 'fiddler at Barn dance' in Far from the madding crowd (with Julie Christie and Terence Stamp)
Peggy at least (cant remember who else) in who dares wins (Lewis Collins, SAS film)
and a snatch of Matty in the background of A film(song ?, something anyway) for Romeo Brass
Graham

Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 11:46:19 AM »

Peggy at least (cant remember who else) in who dares wins (Lewis Collins, SAS film)

Gerry Conway and Marc & Jerry Donahue....those three dressed as hell's angels, Peggy looking like he'd just come in from milking the cows  Smiley

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 08:10:04 PM »

Corking idea, Greglin.

How about a mini marquee near the top of the field to show Fairport and related films in (time to get the 16mm cine projector and Betamax VCR out Peggy  Grin ) just in case the weather turns inclement - or maybe even if it is clement.

It would need a bit of organisation, but maybe it could be run by a local charity and have a donation box for satisfied punters.

There would be more than a few happy people reminiscing if it was possible. Failing the marquee, maybe a room in the pavilion.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 08:34:12 AM »

Hope this is OK on this thread. Switched on TV last night as The Royal was coming to an end and Sandy & FC playing Who Knows where the Time goes was in the background.
greglin (Gregg)
Folkcorp Guru

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 09:29:43 AM »

Corking idea, Greglin.

How about a mini marquee near the top of the field to show Fairport and related films in (time to get the 16mm cine projector and Betamax VCR out Peggy  Grin ) just in case the weather turns inclement - or maybe even if it is clement.

It would need a bit of organisation, but maybe it could be run by a local charity and have a donation box for satisfied punters.

There would be more than a few happy people reminiscing if it was possible. Failing the marquee, maybe a room in the pavilion.

Roll up Roll up - the Cropredy Odeon Huh Peanuts and popcorn and Peggy with a torch shouting " That's not allowed in the back row"  Huh

Not sure how it could be done, but I'm sure there is a lot of footage out there that people would like to see. Obviously there would be logisitical problems, but as a charitable exercise - send / lend your footage for viewing with an appropriate donation? Or maybe the guys have enough of a headache organising this year already................

Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 02:10:45 AM »

Is that really Peggy's first post?  WOW.    I would like to again plug the idea of a DVD or DVDs of all FC footage and songs.  It all comes around...again.  And hopefully a ntsc version. There is so much great footage and to me, FC is better live. The albums don't seem to capture the same energy. And the live footage I have seen is always amazing. The version of Polly is just so good, even if it missing one verse. I would buy as many as are released. I'm sure FC are looking forward and want to promote their current offerings, but their past is also important.  Is it possible to open up the vaults? Is my dream just a pipe dream?

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
greglin (Gregg)
Folkcorp Guru

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »

Ref my last post

can I copyright

" Peanuts and popcorn and Peggy with a torch ". or was it the other way around Huh?

there's a song lyric in there somewhere and it's MINE

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 02:50:17 PM »

Hope this is OK on this thread. Switched on TV last night as The Royal was coming to an end and Sandy & FC playing Who Knows where the Time goes was in the background.

And again this Sunday.  Story line involved a young man called Michael, suffering from Turets (sp?) syndrome.  They where putting him in an ambulance and the background music was "Crazy Man Michael" (FC with Sandy version)  I personally didn't think it was a very appropriate choice but there you go.
BD

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Full House Eyes

Loc: Las Vegas NV via Baltimore, MD USA

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 04:38:55 AM »

Is that really Peggy's first post?  WOW.    I would like to again plug the idea of a DVD or DVDs of all FC footage and songs.  It all comes around...again.  And hopefully a ntsc version. There is so much great footage and to me, FC is better live. The albums don't seem to capture the same energy. And the live footage I have seen is always amazing. The version of Polly is just so good, even if it missing one verse. I would buy as many as are released. I'm sure FC are looking forward and want to promote their current offerings, but their past is also important.  Is it possible to open up the vaults? Is my dream just a pipe dream?
I'd LOVE nothing more!
Just got my hands of an early Fairport DVD called FIDDLE HOUSE.
I stumbled onto this on eBay just last week and received it a few hours ago.
While I'm very grateful [thankful] for the 115 minutes of footage, I wished there was a BUNCH more!   Cool

Anyone know how long this has been available, or at least on DVD?
And is there more available to the public from this era [1968-1976]? 

Glad there was lot of taping of Swarb, Peggy, Simon and Richard. 

Now I want MORE!   Cool Wink

Jack O'Diamonds
Dirty Linen
Walk Awhile
Red And Gold
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: