TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Life 50th Anniversary Exhibition  (Read 5061 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« on: May 25, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »

Went to the Island Life 50th Anniversary exhibition today at The Vinyl Factory, Poland Street, London W1 today. Entry is free, and it's there until 22nd June. Pieces of memorabilia include the original "Fairport Prevention" ad from Melody Maker 1974 for band vacancies, the Martin guitar used by Nick Drake to record "Pink Moon", brilliant portraits of FC and RT (including the band with Anthea Joseph from Witchseason and assorted park-keepers and urchins), the David Bailey photo from the "Sandy" album, and an invitation to a gala dinner to commemorate the "Rising For The Moon" album. Also included (FC aside) are Trevor Horn's spectacles and bass guitar from Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star" video (the 1st on MTV !), a U2 "Achtung Baby" Trabant, lots of Steve Winwood and Traffic-related stuff, and photos and merch from several artists I'd forgotten were on Island Records - such as Free, B-52s, Keane, Anthrax, Nirvana (Patrick Campell-Lyons' band, not Kurt Cobain). A much better exhibition than I thought it was going to be, well worth a look if you're in central London in the next 3 weeks or so.
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »

It is a superb exhibition - one hall with photos & album covers, video screens playing continuously with sound via headphones, the second room includes a special cafe area and this fabulous display of memorabilia and ephemera from the Island offices - a sick note written by a Notting Hill (I think) doctor 'signing-off' Bob Marley for a few weeks with a bad throat!, a letter threatening to dock Spooky Tooth £10 every time they fail to turn up for gig, documents relating to the original Nirvana relinquishing (or selling?) their name to Kurt Cobain, contracts, letters, promo items etc. There's also a nice coffee table book priced at £25 but £20 at the exhibition, plus a small illustrated booklet for a £1, assorted T shirts and CDs in the music shop upstairs. It's also in an unusual building, formerly an underground carpark which one wouldn't normally have access to, interesting for London historians!  And the superb Sister Ray CD shop in Berwick Street is 2 mins walk away.

Cheers, Joss
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:51:12 AM »

"Keep On Running - 50 Years of Island Records" on tonight at 9pm on BBC 4. Running time is 90 mins followed by something called "Island at the BBC" - probably various Old Grey Whistle Test clips of Island Artists!

J
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »

Anyone know the opening times?

It closes next Monday, so not much more time to catch this!

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »

Oops ! The exhibitors seemed to have changed the dates on the website, it's now only open until 17th June (i.e. tomorrow) 11am-8pm. Don't know how or when this change occurred. Somewhat scuppers my plan of taking another look on Thursday.
gary1958

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »

Went to the exhibition last Friday. Very interesting but closes tomorrow.
From the Island website:
Island Life Exhibition
Friday 22nd May to Wednesday 17th June
Vinyl Factory, Phonica Records, Poland Street, London.
Open 11am-8pm Monday-Saturday (12noon-6pm on 25th May, 11am-5pm 5th June)
Entry is free – just turn up.

The “Island Life” Exhibition forms part of the celebrations for the 50th Anniversary of Island Records. “Island Life” is a major exhibition of over 800 images and artifacts associated with or generated by Island Records since its first record release in 1959, and will be held at London’s Soho for one month from Friday 22nd May 2009 until Wednesday 17th June.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »

no chance then, bum!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: