TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:26:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kurt Cobain... and Fairport?!  (Read 10944 times)
LadyD (Sarah)
my blouse has been dispatched

Loc: UK, Essex

FanGirl - Born in the wrong century

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 11:40:44 AM »

Nirvana is good for singing along to when you're driving.  Smiley

Nirvana -come as you are is the only song I can get a decent score on, on 'singstar'.

I'm with you there Lady. Nothing like a bit of miserable music to cheer you up!

My 'bad mood' playlist included Nirvana, AFI, Rise Against and Evnessence.
Whenever its a really bad time of the month 'Pain' is the track I play.
Fave Nirvana song though is pennyroyal tea.

Help! I'm being repressed!
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 03:16:06 PM »

And now we are officially off-topic.

Cobain having a copy of L&L is an example of how influence is not really to do with what the band sounds like. If you look at the themes on L&L they are quite dark it is only familiarity that has lent them the cozy comfort they have taken on.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Dr Monk

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »

influence is not really to do with what the band sounds like.

Agreed - sometimes it's about appreciating and learning the craft of songwriting.
I agree that there's fair bit of suicide 'crapola' aurrounding Cobain, but he's deifnitely a great songwriter.
Whilst fairport may seem a jump, Nick Drake and even some of RT's early stuff is fairly dark and not a million miles away from the tone of some of Cobain's writing (The former not being immune to a bit of journalistic suicide/early death hype either, just on a smaller scale and in a more middle class accent).
I got into Nick Drake when I was about eighteen after the Black Crowes, who I idolised at the time, kept name-checking him. Though some of their stuff is less of a jump from Drake than you might think (Nonfiction and Thorn in my Pride spring to mind) it's another good example of 'influuence' not only being about direct relations to sound, but appreciating craft.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: