TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:24:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport in Russia!  (Read 39629 times)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »

and this
The group Of fairport Of convention - the association, which made for the propaganda of [folka] in old world is not less than Bob Dylan - on the other side of the Atlantic. Shocked Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 05:16:57 PM »

I liked the ending...

But they do not want, they continue to feel like a holiday as house and meet each guest as a relative.

Thanks Bob.

Have a great trip to Russia Uncle Simon!!  Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 05:44:11 PM »

You're all welcome.
I've been digging through this myself. I wonder how much insight a 'puter translation can provide about the syntax/grammar of the source language.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 07:59:32 PM »

Гастроли фолк

Отцы британского фолк-рока — группа Fairport Convention собирается в турне по России. 30 августа они выступят в Казани на фестивале "Сотворение мира", 31 августа и 3 сентября вместе с группой "Аквариум" соответственно в Москве в клубе Ikra и в питерском ДК Ленсовета. В преддверии визита Fairport Convention БОРИС Ъ-БАРАБАНОВ навестил группу на ее ежегодном летнем фестивале в английской деревне Кропреди

I think you'll all agree, that says it all

The Dude abides
Dr Monk

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »

Allow me,

The fathers of British Folk Rock  - the group Fairport Convention are preparing for a tour around Russia. On the 30th August they are appearing in Kazan at the Festival ‘Creation of the World’ , on the 31st August and the 3rd of September together with the group Aquarium in Moscow at the Caviar club and in Petersburg and the Lensovet club respectively. In preparation for the visit of Fairport Convention Boris Barabanov visited the group at their annual summer festival in the English village of Cropredy.

Presumably there's more?

This should gain quite an audience - Aquarium are a veteran rock group in Russia and have a big folllowing.
Blimey, never thought I'd be using my Russian in a Fairport related context!!
Dr Monk

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »

Oops, just seen above that you found a translation already - my sklls ARE useless after all!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:02:08 PM »

Allow me,

The fathers of British Folk Rock  - the group Fairport Convention are preparing for a tour around Russia. On the 30th August they are appearing in Kazan at the Festival ‘Creation of the World’ , on the 31st August and the 3rd of September together with the group Aquarium in Moscow at the Caviar club and in Petersburg and the Lensovet club respectively. In preparation for the visit of Fairport Convention Boris Barabanov visited the group at their annual summer festival in the English village of Cropredy.

Presumably there's more?

This should gain quite an audience - Aquarium are a veteran rock group in Russia and have a big folllowing.

Crumbs! Have Aquarium reformed? That is the great Boris Grebenshikov's band right? I love his Radio Silence album. That is a double bill I would love to see!
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »

Oops, just seen above that you found a translation already - my sklls ARE useless after all!

No at all!
Dr Monk

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 09:34:30 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob!

Crumbs! Have Aquarium reformed? That is the great Boris Grebenshikov's band right? I love his Radio Silence album. That is a double bill I would love to see!

That's the one - a quick look at wikipedia suggests that Aquarium now is basically Grebenshikov and backing musicians but they certainly created a buzz when they played in Siberia a couple of years ago.

Seems he's even recorded a couple of Richard Thompson covers.
Here's his version of Waltzing's for dreamers, requires quicktime: http://aquarium.lipetsk.ru/MESTA/mp3/2005_summer/waltzing_for_dreamers.mp3
A bit surreal, his voice is almost Fergal Sharkeyesque in places, but I've heard worse RT covers, and definitely heard worse Russian attempts at singing in English!

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 09:45:30 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob!

That's the one - a quick look at wikipedia suggests that Aquarium now is basically Grebenshikov and backing musicians but they certainly created a buzz when they played in Siberia a couple of years ago.

Seems he's even recorded a couple of Richard Thompson covers.
Here's his version of Waltzing's for dreamers, requires quicktime: http://aquarium.lipetsk.ru/MESTA/mp3/2005_summer/waltzing_for_dreamers.mp3
A bit surreal, his voice is almost Fergal Sharkeyesque in places, but I've heard worse RT covers, and definitely heard worse Russian attempts at singing in English!

Yeah, well Radio Silence is in English so Boris has form. I hope Fairport get to see them. Maybe they will make enough of an impression to get Aquarium/Boris at Cropredy next year.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »

Allow me,

Presumably there's more?

sorry,old bean, i just assumed that like all good folkies, all participants on this board would be card carrying members of the communist party and fluent in russian cyrillic so a translation would have beeen superflouous Fez
 das vadanya comrades Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 03:40:21 AM »

I don't think Aquarium ever broke up.  Even Grebenshikov's solo works have pretty much been Aquarium in some form or another.  Great band.  I saw them at the Sailor's Hall in Vladivostok on the Navigator tour back in 1995.  They rarely play the US, and even then, it's usually just New York.  Should be a fun tour...

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »

A bit late in on this one, but I've just read the Babelfish'd article.  My favourite bit - "meet each guest as a relative."  Lovely.  And sooo Cropredy. Smiley

Enjoy the tour Chaps, sounds like great fun!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »

A bit late in on this one, but I've just read the Babelfish'd article.  My favourite bit - "meet each guest as a relative."  Lovely.  And sooo Cropredy. Smiley

Enjoy the tour Chaps, sounds like great fun!

YES ! And I'm looking forward to the year I finally make it to Cropredy to see my cousins....
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »

Is it worth flying to moscow when I just saw them 3 weeks ago?

Imponderable Joy
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 09:19:13 PM »

Here's the link for the Petersburg gig.

http://www.reserve.sp.ru/index_e.htm

Ballet, ballet, ballet, ballet, ballet, ballet, Keith Emerson, ballet, Fairport, ballet, ballet

Slightly dated pic  Wink
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »

Slightly dated pic  Wink

Slightly dated scanner too....

And that's a truly terrifying picture of the Keith Emerson band  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 09:47:18 PM »

how brassed off are the russkis going to be when Martin, Sandy, Iain, Richard and Ashley  dont turn up?
international incident ahead? Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 11:21:54 PM »

Couldn't they have used a newer photo??

Have they gone there yet??

Will they be allowed home next week??  Shocked Sad

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 11:29:44 PM »

they'll all end up digging salt in a gulag somewhere in siberia

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: