TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:44:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Acoustic Autumn Tour  (Read 84553 times)
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 12:03:58 PM »

I have a ticket for the recital at Bury, Lancashire on Sunday, 21st October.  If anyone would like the ticket - no money or favours required in return - then send me an IM.

Be quick because I have offered it elsewhere! 

Sir Robert Peel
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 01:20:41 PM »

unfortunatly i can't make the show in Witney....its 25quid a ticket.......sorry to say i just can't afford that much.......and i only live down the road. Sad  

The Morecambe gig was only £15. We would have thought twice about going if it had been £25.

I suppose the venue has some say on ticket prices. Steve Howe at The Platform was also £15 and Capercaillie are charging the same for their November gig at the Dome, which looks like a Blue Peter version of the London Dome.

Maybe it's just a compensation for living up north, or should that be oop north (accents are difficult type!).  Wink

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »

i don't know who decides the prices.....but i've seen acts at the wembly arena for less....

I guess it's the capacity, Ady - like the Beinn Inn - who are charging £30 - it probly holds less than 100.....and even the acoustic line-up have a fee.

Ady
This film has not yet been rated
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: witney,oxon

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 01:55:23 PM »

you're right chris-i haven't been in there yet but it is fairly small......shame as i aint never seen them before.

(i know some of you will think-why did you join this forum then?-its because this is the only lively folk community i know-and i'm a bit of a loner when it comes to my love of folk in the real world)

keep your mind open!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »

you're right chris-i haven't been in there yet but it is fairly small......shame as i aint never seen them before.

(i know some of you will think-why did you join this forum then?-its because this is the only lively folk community i know-and i'm a bit of a loner when it comes to my love of folk in the real world)

Wrong!  Grin

I hadn't seen Fairport live when I joined this forum, even though I was familiar with their early albums.

In any case Ady, the people "in here" listen to lots of different artists, not only Fairport. There's that mob over in McTell Mansions, for a start... Wink

But perhaps we shouldn't mention them. Lips Sealed Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 02:21:08 PM »

McTell! Who? What?

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 02:40:27 PM »

I saw Fairport for the first time approximately 7 months after I registered here:

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=22017.msg269125#msg269125
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 02:40:36 PM »

McTell! Who? What?

There there Cocker, back to sleepnow, all this McTell talk was only a bad dream   Sleepy Sleepy
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »

I hadn't seen Fairport live when I joined this forum, even though I was familiar with their early albums.

In any case Ady, the people "in here" listen to lots of different artists, not only Fairport.

Likewise. Cropredy this year was my first Fairport gig though I've been a fan of RT for quite a few years. So my 1st FC gig was seeing the old line-up play L&L.  Shocked

And I bought my first Steeleye Span cd recently after reading on this message board that Peter Sellers played on one of their songs. So now I know there's more to them than All Around My Hat.  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 04:22:47 PM »

As far as the Witney gig goes £25 for Fc acoustic is a hugely expensive rate - someone, possibly Canny Capers, need to have a look at what gigs they allow to take place and what prices are being charged, otherwise the band themselves will run the risk of alienating their audience.

Jackdaw
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »

Wrong!  Grin

In any case Ady, the people "in here" listen to lots of different artists, not only Fairport. There's that mob over in McTell Mansions, for a start... Wink

But perhaps we shouldn't mention them. Lips Sealed Roll Eyes

....and why not?!  Huh Undecided

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 04:39:48 PM »

As far as the Witney gig goes £25 for Fc acoustic is a hugely expensive rate - someone, possibly Canny Capers, need to have a look at what gigs they allow to take place and what prices are being charged, otherwise the band themselves will run the risk of alienating their audience.

Hmmm.....if a band ask for a certain fee, and the venue are willing to pay it, and therefore ask punters for silly money, so no punters show up, and the venue is hugely out of pocket because they made a pigs-ear of the booking - will that alienate punters? I'm not so sure.

It'll piss the band off, playing in front of a couple of punters & their dog, and maybe a guestlist, certainly.

bernief

Loc: st.helens

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 12:34:24 AM »

tickets still available for St.Helens Citadel, tomorrow (Tuesday) night. £17.50.

Support from Tiny Tin Lady.

Doors 7.30.
TTl    8.00
FAC   9.00

no, we're NOT doin' bloody Stonehenge tonight.
Dr Monk

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 03:50:16 AM »

Hmmm.....if a band ask for a certain fee, and the venue are willing to pay it, and therefore ask punters for silly money, so no punters show up, and the venue is hugely out of pocket because they made a pigs-ear of the booking - will that alienate punters? I'm not so sure.

It'll piss the band off, playing in front of a couple of punters & their dog, and maybe a guestlist, certainly.

It'll proabably alienate a few, because not everyone knows how the system works as you do, and will just see Fairport, 25 quid. AND the band could end up in the situation you describe - in which case no-one's a winner.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 08:16:39 AM »

Here's an odd thing from last night's gig. Not long into their set Simon was talking about 1968 and said they were going to play a Richard Thompson song from their second album. So I was trying to remember what other RT songs were on Holidays apart from Ledge. But then they played Genesis Hall.

It's one of those moments when you're sitting there thinking your memory is playing tricks on you... "I'm sure this song isn't from their second album and Unhalfbricking was recorded released in 69 - oh well, never mind, just enjoy the music".  Huh

Maybe he meant the second album Sandy Denny sang on or maybe his memory is playing tricks on him!

Um. Expletive Delighted ( http://www.fcfansite.fsnet.co.uk/ ) shows:

Fairport Convention's first album was "Fairport Convention". Released in 1968 and recorded in 1967. I particularly like "One Sure Thing" and "The Lobster".

"Unhalfbricking" was their second, released in January 1969, and recorded in 1968.

"What we did on our holidays" was their third, recorded and released in 1969.

It was a busy time almost 40 years ago. I think minor slips of memory or tongue are forgivable. Especially for those of us of advanced years.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 08:31:43 AM »

Fairport Convention's first album was "Fairport Convention". Released in 1968 and recorded in 1967. I particularly like "One Sure Thing" and "The Lobster".

"Unhalfbricking" was their second, released in January 1969, and recorded in 1968.

It was a busy time almost 40 years ago. I think minor slips of memory or tongue are forgivable. Especially for those of us of advanced years.

Not it doesn't and that's wrong (sorry for being a pedant) It shows

"Fairport Convention" - June 1968
"WWDOOH" - Jan 1969
"Unhalfbricking" - July 1969

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 08:36:54 AM »

Here's an odd thing from last night's gig. Not long into their set Simon was talking about 1968 and said they were going to play a Richard Thompson song from their second album. So I was trying to remember what other RT songs were on Holidays apart from Ledge. But then they played Genesis Hall.

It's one of those moments when you're sitting there thinking your memory is playing tricks on you... "I'm sure this song isn't from their second album and Unhalfbricking was recorded released in 69 - oh well, never mind, just enjoy the music".  Huh

Maybe he meant the second album Sandy Denny sang on or maybe his memory is playing tricks on him!

Well that's odd. I always thought What We Did was no 2 and Unhalfbricking No 3.

Just goes to show....... Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 08:41:53 AM »

I sit corrected. My apologies. I seem to have reached the state where I can't remember a few facts from one web page to another. Short term memory failure! Have mercy on an old man! Who am I anyway?

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 09:07:22 AM »

I sit corrected. My apologies. I seem to have reached the state where I can't remember a few facts from one web page to another. Short term memory failure! Have mercy on an old man! Who am I anyway?

It's all right dear. Your name is Adrian and you're perfectly safe here.

Sit down and have a cup of tea. You'll remember everything in a minute....

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2007, 06:51:57 PM »

Stuff it!!  If there are tickets left I might as well go.

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: