TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:03:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Acoustic Autumn Tour  (Read 84552 times)
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2007, 05:22:25 PM »

Simon is the Master of the Subordinate Clause and I'm not very good with complex sentences, but I think he indicated that he would have liked to have been a primary school teacher, like Stuart Marson; either that or he wished he was about to take early retirement, like Stuart Marson, although I hope it was the former because in my opinion, despite all the problems, primary school teacher is still one of the best jobs on the planet and also I wouldn't want any member of Fairport to retire just yet!

Don't panic! Simon's used a similar intro for both Lancashire Hills and Close to the Wind (the "other" Stuart Marston song). Basically, although he hasn't had the structured career and (particularly!) the pension which follows, he acknowledges that he is fortunate to have followed a path which Stuart could only aspire to - only it's much funnier when Simon tells it!

No indication of retirement just yet, and anyway there's a Wintour in the offing.

steve

(A slightly off-topic PS, but I think "Lancashire Hills" and "Close to the Wind" are two of the most beautiful songs from that particular Fairport period)

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2007, 07:08:05 PM »

(A slightly off-topic PS, but I think "Lancashire Hills" and "Close to the Wind" are two of the most beautiful songs from that particular Fairport period)

Seconded!  OT, sorry, where were we?

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2007, 07:17:16 PM »

Can you have a particular Fairport era for songs that weren't originally Fairport songs?  The Fairport era when Fairport were 'semi-retired' then, eh? It's very confusing isn't it?!  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2007, 10:42:16 AM »

Can you have a particular Fairport era for songs that weren't originally Fairport songs?  The Fairport era when Fairport were 'semi-retired' then, eh? It's very confusing isn't it?!  Smiley

Interesting debating point given that the credits on "Before Your Time" include Messrs Pegg, Mattacks, Conway and Sanders. Wink

(Oh.....and apologies to Mr Marson for inadvertantly including an extra "t" in his surname in a previous post.)

Now what was this topic about?

steve
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2007, 10:45:31 AM »

Interesting debating point given that the credits on "Before Your Time" include Messrs Pegg, Mattacks, Conway and Sanders. Wink

steve

But you could say the same (or similar) about Sandy albums or Richard albums at times.... I don't think the songs on those are necessarily indicative of a 'Fairport era' even though they use lots of Fairport personnel...It's certainly confusing though  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »

steve

But you could say the same (or similar) about Sandy albums or Richard albums at times.... I don't think the songs on those are necessarily indicative of a 'Fairport era' even though they use lots of Fairport personnel...It's certainly confusing though  Wink

Buit both of Simon's solo outings occured after Gladys Leap when Fc had reformed and were a fully functioning bang again, not in semi retirement so should not be treated as FC but Simon doing what he wanted to do.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »

steve

Buit both of Simon's solo outings occured after Gladys Leap when Fc had reformed and were a fully functioning bang again, not in semi retirement so should not be treated as FC but Simon doing what he wanted to do.

Close to the Wind came out on, er, Close to the Wind by Swarb & Nicol (Woodworm '84 from memory)...

"so should not be treated as FC" is I think the point I was trying to make....  Smiley

Incidentally this led me to Simon's wiki article (to check the date)..  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Nicol  He's not actually the band's longest-serving member is he?  That honour surely belongs to Peggy....

Sorry, mods, waffling now...

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2007, 06:04:14 PM »

To bring this topic back OT - Chris's picture diary is now up on the site. http://www.fairportconvention.com/gallery.php?gallery=2 Some great pictures, but it says that Gerry rejoined at Papplewick. I thought it was after that. And is that picture really Papplewick Village Hall? Very grand if it is.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2007, 08:01:10 PM »

No Chris Leslie must have overdosed on Red Bush tea that night..  

Gerry wasn't at Papplewick and that must be a different Papplewick VH!!

Nice pic though  Grin Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2007, 09:50:47 PM »

I find the gallery very non-intuitive to use.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2007, 10:19:08 PM »

I only discovered the NEXT button by accident.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2007, 03:20:48 PM »

He's [Simon] not actually the band's longest-serving member is he?  That honour surely belongs to Peggy....

I think Simon has the longest service in total, while Peggy has the longest unbroken service in Fairport....

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »

He's [Simon] not actually the band's longest-serving member is he?  That honour surely belongs to Peggy....

I think Simon has the longest service in total, while Peggy has the longest unbroken service in Fairport....

Peggy's been in the band for 38 years. Simon took 5 out in mid-70's, so in total 35 years. (I am really really bored today, BTW)

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2007, 06:47:40 PM »

ollys right you know

The Dude abides
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2007, 07:28:43 AM »

Don't panic! Simon's used a similar intro for both Lancashire Hills and Close to the Wind (the "other" Stuart Marston song). Basically, although he hasn't had the structured career and (particularly!) the pension which follows, he acknowledges that he is fortunate to have followed a path which Stuart could only aspire to - only it's much funnier when Simon tells it!

No indication of retirement just yet, and anyway there's a Wintour in the offing.

steve

I know the conversation has moved on somewhat but I have been thinking about this issue on and off for the last few days and I think I understand now, so please indulge me for a little while longer and then I'll be quiet. 

At Dartford, Simon explained how Stuart Marson, primary school teacher and author of Over The Lancashire Hills, would have liked to have been a musician and maybe follow the same career path as him.  Simon returned the compliment by recognising the important work that Stuart has done with children over the years and said that he would have liked to have done the same – a kind of mutual admiration, if you like.  The idea of it being a circular thing was mentioned.  None of this was told in a funny way – more wistfully reflective, I’d say.

Inspired by Over the Lancashire Hills, which has a personal meaning for me as well as the Kathleen Ferrier one, I have just started reading, ‘Letters and Diaries of Kathleen Ferrier’ edited by Christopher Fifield.  Even when she was famous, touring America and Europe, and playing the Royal Albert Hall, Kathleen still went to small venues for some of her recitals.  One of these recitals was in the village in which I grew up and the place gets a mention in the book.  It is likely that ‘my person’ saw her perform there.  Circles again!  
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2007, 10:19:02 AM »

ollys right you know

Of course he is....because he is.   Wink

Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2007, 10:36:52 PM »

Glad to see a profound well of deep philosophy is being mined here!  Cheesy.... Tautology apart that is...

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »

Which gig on the acoustic autumn tour did you attend, Jack?  And what did you think of it?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: