TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:39:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Acoustic Autumn Tour  (Read 84550 times)
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »

Hmmm, very very interesting.  The picture's right and the reviews are right, but that track listing is completely wrong!

Brain teaser then - what album is that the track listing for??

I just had a quick look at Talking Elephant but couldn't find it on there...  Any more ideas anyone?

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
evilibby
n3wb

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2007, 01:36:31 PM »

I'm afraid that I have no answers, sorry Sad

I wanted to let you all know that Gerry was there at the Mick Jagger Centre in Dartford (yay!) and I cornered him and asked how he was, and he said that he was all better, no RSI, but it's all to blame on public transport in London as the tube wasn't working and he had to get a rickshaw! - He said that he thinks all of the bouncing up and down caused the elbow and hand hurting.

But yay, he's better!

Also, they were absolutely wonderful, spectacular, wooful and a thousand other adjectives. Yay! Grin
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »

Mick Jagger Centre, Dartford ....... A very pollished and relaxed performance from all four on Saturday, found myself sinking into a decidedly pleasant and warm musical place where oblivion to surroundings takes hold, then the realisation that a rather foolish but contented smile has positioned itself.  
Lovely performance.......thank you so much Fairport.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2007, 05:50:26 PM »

Hmmm, very very interesting.  The picture's right and the reviews are right, but that track listing is completely wrong!

Brain teaser then - what album is that the track listing for??

I just had a quick look at Talking Elephant but couldn't find it on there...  Any more ideas anyone?

Looks like "The Woodworm Years". A rather nice compilation I return to now and then.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »

Just for the record, a superb set by all four chaps at Bromsgrove last night. Lancashire Hills and Hiring Fair/Summertime worth the price of admission alone.

steve
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »

Just for the record, a superb set by all four chaps at Bromsgrove last night. Lancashire Hills and Hiring Fair/Summertime worth the price of admission alone.

steve

Since I haven´t heard these in their acoustic setting I once more urge the chaps to make a "FAC-07" CD available.

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2007, 09:41:35 AM »

steve

Since I haven´t heard these in their acoustic setting I once more urge the chaps to make a "FAC-07" CD available.

You're not alone!! We've certainly spoken to Ric on a couple of occasions and we mentioned again it to Iconic on Wednesday. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to a combination of commercial viability and whether the chaps have a recording which they are happy to release. Certainly Hiring Fair/Summertime has been very different each time we've heard it - the latest version includes roles for Gerry and Chris throughout(previously they have left the stage during the transition).

steve
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2007, 09:58:57 AM »

Chris did leave the stage for one song/tune at the Papplewick gig.. but I can't remember which one.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2007, 10:28:52 AM »

I'm aware that an recording by the acoustic lineup probably isn't a commercially released CD hit. Grin. I would be happy only with a simple on-demand CD made available by the band to their fans, the way I've heard about other bands make live recordings available to their fans. We who haven't had the chance to catch this acoustic lineup, envy you who give us these wonderful reviews and make us long to hear these versions. I bet you who have been to the gigs also might be persuaded to buy a CD like that. Smiley
I wait and hope for the best. Wink

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2007, 10:29:58 AM »

You bet we would.. I really hope that a recording will emerge one day.. soon...  Cool

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2007, 10:34:31 AM »

You bet we would.. I really hope that a recording will emerge one day.. soon...  Cool

There are - or were - (a few) live recordings of F(A)C and the Fairport Acoustic Trio out there in Dimesviille and other torrent sites of ill repute.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »

Chris did leave the stage for one song/tune at the Papplewick gig.. but I can't remember which one.

At Dartford Chris and Gerry left the stage during Sophisticated Lady / Here, There and Everywhere.  When they returned, they knew the rugby score but didn't tell.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2007, 12:43:14 PM »

Ah... that was the one then, thank you!

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2007, 08:16:59 PM »

I would be happy only with a simple on-demand CD made available by the band to their fans, the way I've heard about other bands make live recordings available to their fans.

Bear in mind that even with this suggestion, all the preparatory work is still required to the point of master, and that has to be paid for, somehow.
So even one of these has to be commercially viable, just that the viability is a lower number of sales - but it would still need to sell a reasonable number.

I suspect it will be held back like Off the Desk was, until there's a suityable break in produce for the merch table. Of course, next year's offering will be the CRopredy DVD, so it'll be at least 12 months away.

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2007, 04:45:59 PM »

Quick review of last night's gig at the College Theatre, Eastbourne.

We almost didn't make it - my back gave out on Friday, and I could hardly walk (a recurrence of an old injury), so until I got up Saturday morning we were in some doubt as to whether we'd be able to go. However, we decided to brave it, and actually my car is quite comfortable to drive, even with a bad back, although standing up straight when I get out is a problem!

We had booked a very nice B&B in Eastbourne, within reasonable walking distance of the venue, and stopped off in the town for something to eat beforehand. The venue is the theatre at Eastbourne College, which is a rather flash school. I think the buildings were rather fab, but as it was dark we couldn't see much, although we did approach the entrance along a rather nice cloister. The space is lovely - quite small and intimate, with a very steep rake to the seats so no-one should have any problem seeing. We had seats right in the centre of the front row, so we had the best possible view and sound. Simon commented after that we seemed to enjoy it, as he'd noticed us smiling all the way through!

The set was pretty much as before (I didn't take notes), special highlights for me being Hiring Fair and Over the Lancashire Hills (the latter preceeded by a very touching intro from Simon regarding Stuart Marson). I must asy that the more I hear some of the more recent songs (especially from Chris) the more I have grown to appreciate them - repetition and the buzz of the live performance certainly make a difference (eg Spring Song).

The boys were in great form, musically and banter-wise, and I'm very glad indeed that I managed to get up from sick bed and go!

We had a chat with them all afterwards, Gerry said he was planning to spend this week learning the songs for next Saturday (!), and Simon also commented that the set-list for Saturday is something special, so it sounds like those of us that are going to be there will be in for a treat! Hope my back behaves itself between now and then...

DC
Dr Clive

« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2007, 05:06:31 PM »

A couple of things I forgot: the other of CL's songs which I've really taken to is Close to You; and when they came back on for the encore, Chris had found a sledgehammer backstage, which he commented would have been a useful prop for John Gaudie. I was somewhat concerned as he put it down on the stage very close to his array of instruments, but it all passed off without mishap!

DC
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2007, 11:56:48 PM »

The set was pretty much as before (I didn't take notes), special highlights for me being Hiring Fair and Over the Lancashire Hills (the latter preceeded by a very touching intro from Simon regarding Stuart Marson).

I think we had a similar intro at Dartford.  Did Simon reveal what he would have liked to have been if he hadn't become a musician?  (I'm not sure if I heard it right and Katy's Dad is no help with this sort of thing!)
Dr Clive

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »

The set was pretty much as before (I didn't take notes), special highlights for me being Hiring Fair and Over the Lancashire Hills (the latter preceeded by a very touching intro from Simon regarding Stuart Marson).

I think we had a similar intro at Dartford.  Did Simon reveal what he would have liked to have been if he hadn't become a musician?  (I'm not sure if I heard it right and Katy's Dad is no help with this sort of thing!)

Not that I recall, but I'll interrogate Bex later to see if she remembers anything...

DC
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2007, 01:13:29 PM »

Did Simon reveal what he would have liked to have been if he hadn't become a musician?

Don't know about what he'd have done if not being a musician, but there was a quip before Wood & Wire (I think...) at the Bein Inn about the music shop window he used to press his nose against as a lad having two sides, stringy-things and brassy-things - FC would have had a different sound if he'd pressed his nose against the brassy-things side...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2007, 11:39:31 PM »

Simon is the Master of the Subordinate Clause and I'm not very good with complex sentences, but I think he indicated that he would have liked to have been a primary school teacher, like Stuart Marson; either that or he wished he was about to take early retirement, like Stuart Marson, although I hope it was the former because in my opinion, despite all the problems, primary school teacher is still one of the best jobs on the planet and also I wouldn't want any member of Fairport to retire just yet!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: