TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:46:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Sandy Denny videos  (Read 13970 times)
Ann from Lancs

Loc: Colne

I could do it all, but just not today …

« on: August 15, 2007, 09:03:56 PM »

I've found some more good stuff on myspace ... it makes a change from YouTube!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1187711471&n=2

Ann

I will get round to writing that report one day ... who knows where the time goes ??
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »

Well spotted, Ann.  Haven't seen a few of those yet.  Thank you, dear lady.  I kiss your hand and bow deeply. Kiss

Sir Robert Peel
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:41:32 PM »

Wow , I hadn't seen it. All these odd videos should be put on one official dvd so I can purchase them.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
BPTNT
5-18

Loc: london W11

Tarzan versus the BPI

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:59:44 PM »

Wow , I hadn't seen it. All these odd videos should be put on one official dvd so I can purchase them.

Fat chance. Angry The cost of anyone other than the German TV company/copyright owners putting this out would be astronomical. i.e. financially unviable for a "cult" artist like Sandy...unless some big-bucks organisation wants to put it together. Some various artists compilation DVDs have come out from this programme ('Beat Club') in the past so...that may be a possibility one day. In the meantime, just be grateful this stuff is still there to see (unlike the bloody Beeb and their sorry archive...a library of blunders  Angry Cry ).
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 12:53:08 PM »

The other things that are turning up on MySpace and YouTube are clips from the amateur video shot at a Fairport gig at Birmingham University in 1974. Has there ever been any discussion of getting a professional transfer of this to DVD? The clips that were used in It All Comes Round Again and Sandy Denny Under Review, though still very grainy, are better than all this bootleg material. Given that film of Sandy with Fairport is otherwise non-existent, I'm sure people would be happy to stump up (on a subscription basis?) to get as good a copy as could be made - I know I would. Apparently, Dave Pegg owns the copyright. The set list was something like this: The Brilliancy Medley & Cherokee Shuffle, Solo, Like An Old Fashioned Waltz, Ballad of Ned Kelly, The Hexamshire Lass, Fiddlestix, John The Gun, Down In The Flood, Instrumental Medley, Who Knows Where The Time Goes?

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 06:30:01 PM »

Anyone know where john the gun might be. I would buy the dvd if it was available.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:00:14 AM »

i can send out a few copies of the DVD to those who will spread it around.not very good quality but worth a look..................
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:28 AM »

thanks to those who replied.i have one more here,first person to PM me can have it.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »

have made copies for all those who asked before this message,three o'clock Wednesday.those who have not already done so please send your address.
thanks
Bill
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 03:08:08 PM »

Too late. Buggrit Sad

That's not dirt, it's patination!
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 03:29:41 PM »

Too late. Buggrit Sad

you're in luck,i've got one blank left ! send address please.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »

might i suggest that the lucky recipients follow billys lead and offer it for swapsies

The Dude abides
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »

Too late. Buggrit Sad

you're in luck,i've got one blank left ! send address please.

Ooo err! Only just seen this! Will IM you billy.......

That's not dirt, it's patination!
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 04:10:27 PM »

I was at Brum University in the late 70's and the guild of students had an enthusiastic if basic TV station. I know the Fairport gig in 1978 (?) was taped (Tipplers Tales lineup). I have wondered ever since what happened to the material.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 08:51:29 PM »

Jim, I wouldn't mind queuing for the Sandy stuff.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 02:39:49 PM »

I was at Brum University in the late 70's and the guild of students had an enthusiastic if basic TV station.

I checked with Peggy about the 1974 Brum footage. Although the clip used in Sandy Denny Under Review has "copyright Dave Pegg" slapped across it, Dave says he doesn't in fact own this material. He has a rough copy which he has duped a couple of times for fans. He would like to see it improved and released maybe as a charity benefit. Any ideas let him know.

Seems to me the challenge is to find out whether the original still exists and who has it. The production is credited to "Pete Keel". Pete, are you out there? Do you know you're sitting on (probably) the only film in existence of FC with their most famous vocalist?  

The "Solo" footage, which is better picture quality, could come from a different source - maybe nearer to the original. Also detached somehow from the rest of the film is this 24 second clip of "Matty Groves":
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=2566311
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:02:37 PM by pemward » Logged

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »

Well, as a current Brum student, Guild TV (as it is now called) does hold an archive of material.   How far it stretches back I have absolutely no idea, and indeed have no idea whether the footage would be there.  But might be worth a look, will see if it's possible for me to have a root around when I go back.

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 07:21:50 PM »

I was at Brum University in the late 70's and the guild of students had an enthusiastic if basic TV station.

I checked with Peggy about the 1974 Brum footage. Although the clip used in Sandy Denny Under Review has "copyright Dave Pegg" slapped across it, Dave says he doesn't in fact own this material. He has a rough copy which he has duped a couple of times for fans. He would like to see it improved and released maybe as a charity benefit. Any ideas let him know.

Or maybe as something for the 30th Anniversairy of her death.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »

Well, as a current Brum student, Guild TV (as it is now called) does hold an archive of material.   How far it stretches back I have absolutely no idea, and indeed have no idea whether the footage would be there.  But might be worth a look, will see if it's possible for me to have a root around when I go back.

I would love to see that gig again. I knew a couple of blokes in guild TV, I think they didn't actually have a video recorder, they hired a machine for the day, replayed the tape once in the Union building the next day, then took the recorder back to the shop. I don't know what format it was in, though I'm sure the quality wasn't that good. I know I saw them twice that day, once in the Union and once at Barbarella's, a sophisticated local nightspot.
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 09:40:52 PM »

I imagine the 1974 Brum master is on reel to reel helical scan EAIJ (I think it's called)

- Or just possibly U-Matic (dirty great 3/4 inch cassettes). The black and whiteness makes me favour the former. There are plenty of working U-matic recorders around but reel to reel...dunno!

The prehistory of video is interesting and sometimes hilarious! See Philips N1500 below, the first errrr.."domestic" recorder. So domestic it used a cooker timer which meant you usually missed half the programme (or overdid the turkey).

Apparently lots of schools rushed to buy them but then found that chalk dust didn't do too much for the works. I remember a hi-fi dealer acquaintance (John Kirk - advert) slinging several of them under his workbench around 1982 because he was regularly asked to repair them by the usual cheapskates who'd picked them up....cheap.

Sorry about that...what the hell does it have to do with lovely Sandy? not a lot!        

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:00:46 PM by Edthefolkie » Logged

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: