TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:34:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peggy and Peej gigs  (Read 28886 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« on: May 27, 2006, 11:53:30 AM »

Farnsfield Acoustiic will be hosting the first gig on Peggy & Peej's tour..

...the venue is Gunthorpe Village Hall in Notts.. tix are  a tenner... bring your own drinks etc...

It'll be a great night Grin Grin

Who's coming???

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
deebee

Loc: leeds

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 01:04:45 PM »

moi
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »

me

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »

And here's the rest of their gigs....

Sunday, 4 June   Hitchin, The Sun 01462 812391
Thursday, 15 June   Swan Folk Club, Leek, Staffs 01538 385260
Saturday, 17 June   Middlewich Festival, Cheshire   midfest@hotmail.com
Sunday, 18 June   Blackpool, Grand Theatre Studio  01253 290190
Monday, 19 June   The Zanzibar, Liverpool

Wednesday, 5 July   The Mill Theatre, Banbury 01295 279002
Thursday, 6 July   Roses Theatre, Tewkesbury 01684 295074
Sunday, 9 July   Southsea, Bandstand on the Promenade (afternoon)
Sunday, 23 July   The Half Moon, Putney, London 0208 780 9383

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 04:10:37 PM »

I'll be there at Gunthorpe Jen!  Err....but you already knew that... Tongue

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 06:00:46 PM »

It's going to be a gudun!!!

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 07:15:44 PM »

Just a few more tix left...  come on.. don't miss this..... Grin Grin

Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 12:17:32 PM »

Pastiegirl, Mave the birthdaygirl/raffle winning Rave --and myself were well and truly entertained by Peggy AND Peej in Gunthorpe . A fab  night  with some Fairport numbers and some of P J `s own numbers off Hedge of Sound etc and a mixture of others too .
Twas well worth the Tenner entrance fee .
I got a Promo Poster signed by them both and now takes pride and place on the wall  in my garage/studio.
I may frame it yet  Roll Eyes
Again a big" UP" to the Farnsfield Massive  Cheesy
Oh and to all the other TAW`s there especially David Stevenson  whom I met for the first time . Gulp I`d better get my 12 string out again or he`ll have a go at me  Wink

You are what you eat !!!
eclaire
n3wb

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 02:38:39 PM »

i agree - it was an excellent evening - very friendly atmosphere and fabulous music from both PJ and Peggy
claire:-}
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »

Great night thanks to all you TAWhilers for yer support... so interestin songs tunes from both back catalogues in particular from DP .... old Fairport and Cocktail Cowboy made for a unique evening catch them....

Couple of phots can't make up me mind whether to tone down the yellow.... that's how they were on stage... lights yer know!

Bet you never thought you'd see Peggy playin one of these!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 04:45:19 PM by Neil » Logged

Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 03:09:12 PM »

Duo..

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 04:03:10 PM »

.... old Fairport and Cocktail Cowbow

I know this'll get modded, but this really made me smile.... Grin Grin Roll Eyes

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 08:56:57 PM »

Another major coup for the Farnsfield Four Cheesy

What a real treat to be there for the "debut" of Peggy and Peej. The photos already posted show how much the lads enjoyed it and believe me the audience had a great night.

Wonderful to see Peggy playing bouzouki and guitar as well as some triffic mando playing.

The rapport between the two, both musically and just as "two mates having a good time" was a pleasure to witness.

With the extensive combined professional history of these two consummate musicians, only the best was likely to happen.

And you know what?

IT DID

That's not dirt, it's patination!
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 11:30:50 PM »

Another coup by Farnsfield Acoustic Roll Eyes

It was an excellent night (even more special as it was my birthday Wink) with a trawl through PJ and Peggy's respective histories, great music and musicianship.  Grin

The rapport between Peggy and PJ made it even more fun.......plus their rapport with us -  the audience - made it a real night to remember Smiley

It was great to catch up - and met new - Talkawhilers.

Ok, maybe I sound biased, but I loved it - go see them, you'll have a great time Grin

Thanks Peggy, thanks PJ, thanks Farnsfield Wink

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Rozza

Loc: Herts

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »

The pair were equally excellent at Hitchin on Sunday night. As well as the 'Hedge of Sound' songs, I enjoyed their version of Sandy Denny's 'Bushes and Briars', and Dave Pegg's songs, particularly the 'Jack Frost' song from Tull's Christmas album. The version of 'Going Up Leicester' was particularly good, especially for a Leicester exile like me - it even had a break for translation so the Hertfordshire audience could understand it. Peggy told a great story about booking Lonnie Donegan for Cropredy a few years back. A good night - catch them if you can!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »

Peggy & Peej at Gunthorpe for Farnsfield Acoustic..  Saturday 3rd June 2006

It was the first time we’d used this very pleasant village hall by the River Trent, but we arrived on time (4pm) and just as we were wondering what time P & P would arrive.. there they were.  They came with instruments galore and big smiles on this lovely warm sunny day.

Tables were set out and posters blu tacked to the walls, sandwiches eaten and wine sipped.. it was going to be a good night. The sound check was fun.. they were really getting into it.. lots of laughs! Peggy told us the story of how his head was shat upon by a bird as he was preparing the veggie kebabs for his grandson’s first birthday BBQ.. a story which he later told the whole audience…..  the tone was set!

Dee Bee was the first to arrive..  at the same time as the band..  closely followed by a couple of blokes who’d ordered their tickets.. then went off to one of the four pubs in the village. Gower Flower was already there.. (good name for a song there!) and was to run the raffle for us.. she had a Welsh flag on her table! Pastieboy and Pastiegirl brought Mave the Rave.. it had been her 70th birthday a couple of days earlier and she was excited about the gig.. as were we all.  Mic and Adrian arrived and went to find food. 7.30 came and the crowds rolled in..  Catherine and Colin from up north with big smiles and nuts that made us cough!  Delphini came to celebrate her birthday that day with us, and we met new TAWer ‘eclaire’.. this lady has been a regular Farnsfield Acoustic attendee but had so far managed to remain elusive.. good to meet her at last! Edthefolkie came too along with his group of mates and this time he took his rubbish away with him (!) (Sorry private joke there) Last, but by no means least, TAWer to arrive was David Stevenson who just made it..  good to meet him too for the first time. There were lots of others there too.. including a couple who lived next door to the hall.. I don’t think they knew anything about our heroes.. but they went away happy and hopefully converted.

It was the first date of their first tour together as a duo..  any nerves weren’t apparent, they both appeared completely at ease with each other and their set.
The first half saw Peggy playing guitar and bouzouki as well as his mandolin.  I’d never seen him play these two instruments before.. it was a treat and another example of his superb musicianship!  PJ played all sorts of guitars… each one brilliantly.  The evening consisted of a mix of songs from each and tunes in various tempos.  If anyone would like a set list I have one. The back catalogues of each, and their past and present incarnations were represented..  Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow from Peggy’s Tull days and Johnny England from PJ’s Little Johnny England days…  we were told that this band had not died.. good news indeed! Barbary Lil from PJ’s Hedge of Sound was fantastic. Ellen sold a quite a few of these cds on the merch table.  Goin’ Up Leicester needed translation .. it was hilarious. Peggy’s Pub played on mandolin was quite different to the usual arrangement and Carolan’s Draught was superb. Peggy told the tale of booking Lonnie Donegan for Cropredy a few years ago (who remembers that??) and had us all in stitches. (Sadly it was shortly before he died.) He told us stories of Mark Knopfler and of course of Sandy Denny.

During the interval we gave the three birthday ‘girls’ a little cake with a candle.. Gower Flower being the third..  Peggy and PJ joined in the celebrations with us.. they had previously made a dedication to them all from the stage. All too soon the evening ended and everyone slowly dispersed.. (many back to our house) we had lots of positive comments and many promises to ‘come again’.  We left the hall as we found it and went away happy knowing that Peggy and Peej had a few pounds in their pockets and we’d had another successful gig.

Long may it continue.  Thanks Peggy and PJ!

Jenny

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »

A couple of pix...

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 12:40:31 PM »

Diane...

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 12:42:24 PM »

Sorry should have only posted one there!!!

and Mave the Rave.. the no.1 Fairport Groupie.. Grin Grin

bernief

Loc: st.helens

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 04:21:56 PM »

Monday, June 19th, The Zanzibar, Seel Street, Liverpool.

Support from Tiny Tin Lady and Nancy Elizabeth Cunliffe.

Doors 7.30.

Tickets £8. Tel: 01744 608320/Email> bernieforkin@hotmail.com

no, we're NOT doin' bloody Stonehenge tonight.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: