TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:17:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Albion Band Beginner  (Read 128756 times)
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »

OK, so going through this topic I see you've already covered Talking Elephant.

And only yesterday I bought, on Amazon, the Albion Christmas' Traditional album (yup, well timed at Easter!), only to find out here that this too is a bloody compilation (too late, I can't cancel anymore, so I noticed just now, only return it once I get it).
I was already laughing out loud that TE have released a Best Of album by the Rainbow Chasers, after a whopping 2 studio albums under their belt (I love that band. But a compilation after 2 studio albums? Come on). And that they rereleased an album like XXXV by FC and sell it as 'remastered' and add a few bonus tracks for the die hards - a 2002 album, remastered. I would have fallen for that years ago but no more, I am not the kind of completist who doesn't mind being ripped off for the sake of some leftover live tracks.
It's a pity that you really have to investigate every title you are buying these days.
And yet and yet. Hats off to them for putting the Marc Ellington albums on CD. And the good many other great albums. But they infuriate a little too.  
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »

I have to agree with you about TE.  They can be very frustrating, even though one is happy that someone is releasing this stuff.  But it doesn't seem that difficult to provide a little more information about it.

The advent of downloading does at least mean that you can just buy the tracks you don't have - which is what I did with the Rainbow Chasers compilation, for example.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2011, 03:26:58 PM »

I have to agree with you about TE.  They can be very frustrating, even though one is happy that someone is releasing this stuff.  But it doesn't seem that difficult to provide a little more information about it.

It's inexcusable to my way of thinking.  Even b**tleggers do a better job!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »

I was glad when TE re-issued the "duo" Amazing Blondel albums, but I wasn't impressed with the quality of the sound on them, and on one the tracklisting was wrong. I did wonder if they had been taken from a vinyl master, which apparently can happen if the master tapes have gone missing.

I was less than glad to pay a fair whack (plus postage) direct from TE only to see them drop to half price about a month later...!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »

I have just found on iTunes an Albion band album called Live In London which I have never heard of before.  Apparently released last July by a label I have never heard of.  The track listing is:

I am a Humble Bridge
Cookery Is the New Rock and Roll
We Are the Law Unto Ourselves
We Can't get The Whales Away
Flandyke Shore
Feet Will Find Their Own Way
I'm A Poor Dressmaker
Time To Ring Some Changes
Go North

Does anyone know anything about this?  I googled it and came up with no references apart from the iTunes one.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:03 PM »

Is it a re-ordered "An Evening With..."?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »

A number of the track names look to be the same, so maybe it is?  I haven't heard An Evening With... either.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »

I have just managed to pick up 2 of the 3 missing studio albums from my collection on CD at sensible prices, Stella Maris and Under The Rose.  Smiley

Does anybody know if Light Shining ever had a CD release? I have never seen a copy listed anywhere. I may have to get a good quality vinyl pressing and digitalise it.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »

Never on an official CD, I have a CDR version someone cut for me which sounds technically reasonable. You are welcome to it, drop me an IM.

It's not an album I listen to much, as it hasn't aged terrifically well. Mind you, it's aged far better then Gladys' Leap.

All IMHO.

folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »

As I recall, the chap who bought the rights (or licence) to Light Shining had to make a decision between a vinyl or CD pressing as he only had finance for one. Can't remember if this is one that disappeared into Celtic Music's black hole. If your CDR is an official burn, Andy, it should tell you.

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »

Thanks for the info (& offer) chaps. There seem to be quite a few vinyl copies around so I think I will plump for one of them but if there is more than a hint of My Feet Are Set For Dancing about it, I may not hurry.  Wink
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

Surprised you feel that way about Glady's Leap Andy...but all ones opinion of course  Wink

Stella Maris I actually was just listening to the other day, in an exploration of Albion material again. For me hard to listen to this period, but The Rose and The Rock and The Task salvage it for me.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »

GL has '80s instrumentation is all.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2012, 08:30:32 PM »

Surprised you feel that way about Glady's Leap Andy...but all ones opinion of course  Wink

Stella Maris I actually was just listening to the other day, in an exploration of Albion material again. For me hard to listen to this period, but The Rose and The Rock and The Task salvage it for me.

I have actually never heard any of the studio albums with Cathy LeSurf. I have said before that I am not fond of her voice so I am taking a bit of a punt here for the purpose of filling gaps in the collection. I'm hoping that there is enough material by other members of the band to keep me interested.

I like Gladys Leap too, one track excepted. I take Andy's point about the instrumentation but as it was made essentially by a three piece Fairport and I suspect relatively cheaply the reliance on keyboards to fill out the sound a bit is understandable and it is the origin of several of my favourite Fairport songs.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »

I'm not a fan of Cathy LeSurf either really. I forgive a lot of the keyboards on Glady's Leap because of the strength of the material barring My Feet Are Set For Dancing. Most of the songs have withstood the passage of time with slight tweaks (less keyboards, less electric violin effects) to them-Hiring Fair, Honour and Praise. Some didn't have much at all-How Many Times, the instrumental, Head In A Sack. But thats just me.

Light Shining is one that is missing from my collection too. I think you nailed it though Al...the only material  I like from the albums you mention, and also including albums like The Wild Side Of Town and Songs From The Shows, is material not featuring her. (Sorry folks) Now if it had been Polly Bolton singing those, I may have had a different response, as I do quite like what she did on various Ashley projects. This reminds me, other than Light Shining and loads of complilations, I need to see how complete my Albion Band collection is, now that I think about it.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »

I see that Light Shining is receiving its first ever CD release through Talking Elephant if anyone is interested.

Any chance of reissues of Give Me A Saddle & 1990 anytime soon?
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »

I got a flyer too, but it's not one I know. When was it issued and with what line up? A couple of the tracks sound fun...
DavidG

Loc: Bucks, UK

« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2013, 01:55:44 PM »

I got a flyer too, but it's not one I know. When was it issued and with what line up? A couple of the tracks sound fun...

I can do no better than to refer you to this excellent note:

http://mainlynorfolk.info/guvnor/records/lightshining.html

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »

I wonder if they will follow it up with the other unavailable albums from that period - Under The Rose, Stella Maris, I Got New Shoes?  As well as the two GubGub mentioned.

And just when I was thinking that my Albion collection was almost complete, having snagged a copy of Songs From The Shows the other day...

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »

Ooh!! Nice, thanks for that, think I'll have to indulge!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: