TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:32:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT 'Electric' tour dates 2013  (Read 63717 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »

Anyway, it'll be nice to hear the songs ahead of seeing the trio in Basingstoke on March 8th. I'm also off to BBC Maida Vale studios tomorrow afternoon to be in the audience for the recording of Mastertapes for Radio 4, in which various artists discuss one of their classic albums (last series had Ray Davies, Paul Weller, Billy Bragg, Suzanne Vega, The Zombies). RT will be discussing Rumor (sic) & Sigh.

I'm turning green with envy Dan. Lucky you! I'm seeing him in Liverpool on the 1st. Never been to a gig in Liverpool before and fortunately a friend is driving us there so I don't have to worry about finding the venue.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 09:41:51 AM »

I think Robin Denselow starts every review of an RT album with "Another brilliant Richard Thompson album...". My only quibble would be that occasionally Buddy Miller overdoes his trademark swampy guitar sound so that it sounds like the equipment's set up in the bathroom but he's put the microphones in the kitchen. Mind you, if that's the worst you can say about an album...  Roll Eyes  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »

I'm seeing him in Liverpool on the 1st. Never been to a gig in Liverpool before and fortunately a friend is driving us there so I don't have to worry about finding the venue.

I've seen a few concerts at the Liverpool Phil - John Martyn, Joan Armatrading, Pentangle, Sandy Denny Tribute, and always enjoyed the experience. There are a couple of pubs nearby that I'd recommend if you have time - The Philharmonic, diagonally opposite the venue,  and the Fly On The Loaf on Hardman Street.

I have just got Electric and only listened to just over half of it so far, but even based on that I'd say its better than Dream Attic and Sweet Warrior (which I don't listen to all that much), and on a par with OKB and Mock Tudor (IMO, both better, or at least more consistent, than his 90s stuff).

Roll on March 10th in Salford (on a Sunday).
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »

I think Robin Denselow starts every review of an RT album with "Another brilliant Richard Thompson album...". My only quibble would be that occasionally Buddy Miller overdoes his trademark swampy guitar sound so that it sounds like the equipment's set up in the bathroom but he's put the microphones in the kitchen. Mind you, if that's the worst you can say about an album...  Roll Eyes  

Have to agree about the slightly dodgy ovrall production. But, in particular, for me it's the drum sound. The performance is terrific, but the recording just awful.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »

I'm seeing him in Liverpool on the 1st. Never been to a gig in Liverpool before and fortunately a friend is driving us there so I don't have to worry about finding the venue.

I've seen a few concerts at the Liverpool Phil - John Martyn, Joan Armatrading, Pentangle, Sandy Denny Tribute, and always enjoyed the experience. There are a couple of pubs nearby that I'd recommend if you have time - The Philharmonic, diagonally opposite the venue,  and the Fly On The Loaf on Hardman Street.

I'm seeing him at the Phil too - I've been there loads of times - it's a nice venue and is pretty easy to get to (at least I think so) and street parking isn't too bad.
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:32 PM »

Yes go to the Phil pub and go to the gents. Seriously, they are a Victorian masterpiece (even Mrs Stick had a look!)

StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 07:13:23 PM »

It is what it is, that is to say very much a live sounding analog album. Remember the great Buddy Miller uses a tape recorder - remember them?? Roll Eyes
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »

Yes go to the Phil pub and go to the gents. Seriously, they are a Victorian masterpiece (even Mrs Stick had a look!)

My mate who is driving us there has mentioned something about a pub near the venue which he wants me to see so it might well be that one. He didn't mention the gents. But he maybe didn't want to give me the wrong idea...

Shocked

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »

Anyway, it'll be nice to hear the songs ahead of seeing the trio in Basingstoke on March 8th. I'm also off to BBC Maida Vale studios tomorrow afternoon to be in the audience for the recording of Mastertapes for Radio 4, in which various artists discuss one of their classic albums (last series had Ray Davies, Paul Weller, Billy Bragg, Suzanne Vega, The Zombies). RT will be discussing Rumor (sic) & Sigh.

I'm turning green with envy Dan. Lucky you! I'm seeing him in Liverpool on the 1st. Never been to a gig in Liverpool before and fortunately a friend is driving us there so I don't have to worry about finding the venue.

Just got in from RT's Radio 4 Mastertapes session at Maida Vale. Great fun, good to run into Chris Bates of this parish. Richard was on great form, lots of anecdotes, and some fine solo renditions of numbers from Rumor & Sigh and MOTL. The show will be broadcast on Radio 4 some time later this year, probably in the summer (taped now as Richard's in the country), I'll keep an eye on the schedules...can't wait now for the Electric Tour !
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »

Gent's toilets at the Phil

http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/images/pubphotos/Liverpool-Philharmonic-Gents.JPG
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »

Just bog standard fittings in those days.  (Groan).

I have fond memories of the Philharmonic Hall - sat on the front row of the orchestra seats (i.e. behind the band) for ISB back in about 1970-71.  Saw Grimms there as well, but missed the Floyd (with their Azymuth Co-ordinator surround sound system).

Mind you, I did spend a number of bottom-numbingly afternoons in there - school speech days.  Roll Eyes

Flobbadob!
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

Mind you, I did spend a number of bottom-numbingly afternoons in there - school speech days.  Roll Eyes

Me too - you didn't go to St Marys did you?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »

Merchant Taylors'...

Flobbadob!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »

That nice Mr T was on Radio London this afternoon

If you want to listen again it's 2'30" in...
[urlhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0144zbd][/url]

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »

That nice Mr T was on Radio London this afternoon

He seems very busy doing interviews in the run-up to his tour. Seems just about every day there's something on Facebook about what he's up to.

His daughter Kami, on the other hand, likes ranting about things on Twitter. She had a good swear about Mumford and Sons and Kate Nash yesterday.

Grin

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »

He's everywhere at the moment, isn't he? Here he is in The Telegraph, including a link to a photo gallery with a couple of things I'd certainly never seen before.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9870234/Richard-Thompson-interview-Cheerful-man-with-an-inner-Bronte.html

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 11:30:31 AM »

He's everywhere at the moment, isn't he? Here he is in The Telegraph, including a link to a photo gallery with a couple of things I'd certainly never seen before.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9870234/Richard-Thompson-interview-Cheerful-man-with-an-inner-Bronte.html

Great collection of photos...thanks for that link.  Don't think I've ever seen the kitchen shot (and maybe the early solo shots either) before...that's fab  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »

Don't think I've ever seen the kitchen shot

That would be from The Angel, wouldn't it? I'm not so familiar with the toing and froing of Simon's fringe that I could date it accurately beyond that.  Smiley
Any idea whose the family in the foreground is?

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 02:56:20 PM »

Don't think I've ever seen the kitchen shot

That would be from The Angel, wouldn't it? I'm not so familiar with the toing and froing of Simon's fringe that I could date it accurately beyond that.  Smiley
Any idea whose the family in the foreground is?

The Peggs most likely  Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »

Related: Todays LA Times readers letters about the  Grammys'.

Replace LLCoolJ with the funny and multi-talented Neil Patrick Harris.
Oh, and instead of Mumford and Lumineers, give us Richard Thompson, that's real talent.

Joe Gates

Culver City.

@That is the Angel kitchen, to the left or behind Richard is a draw where the underpants gnome deposited 'goodies' weekly...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: