TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:34:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarb's rift with Joe Boyd  (Read 22134 times)
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »

As to Swarb's voice - it wasn't great on Full House, neither was Richard's or Simon's, but with time, all three developed good, if not great singing voices.

I agree about Richard and Simon, but I think Swarb sang great from the get go.

Jules

So do I.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »

Edit: And on that note I shall point to the title of the topic, then ponder why you guys have started rabbiting on about Elvis  Roll Eyes ... Back on topic please!

Personally I think there's a little too much of a straight jacket here about wandering off-topic.  Conversations do tend to wander.  It can feel artificial to not have the odd wee aside.  And I don't see why some pairs of knickers get in such a twist about it.

Undecided

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »

Edit: And on that note I shall point to the title of the topic, then ponder why you guys have started rabbiting on about Elvis  Roll Eyes ... Back on topic please!

Personally I think there's a little too much of a straight jacket here about wandering off-topic.  Conversations do tend to wander.  It can feel artificial to not have the odd wee aside.  And I don't see why some pairs of knickers get in such a twist about it.

Undecided

Jules

I agree. One of the things that fascinates me about TAW is the way the conversations develop and how a thread that starts in one place can end up somewhere completely different and unexpected according to what part of the discussion fires the imagination of the contributors. If nobody is complaining why put constraints on that?
the beat goes on

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 10:00:27 AM »

Undecided

Jules

I agree. One of the things that fascinates me about TAW is the way the conversations develop and how a thread that starts in one place can end up somewhere completely different and unexpected according to what part of the discussion fires the imagination of the contributors. If nobody is complaining why put constraints on that?

Absolutely.  The relaxed and chatty manner is a major pluspoint.  I don't particularly care for trad folk music, I prefer FC in their pre Liege days but I enjoy reading the posts.  I have learnt quite a lot about various types of music or artists which I maybe would not have come across anywhere else.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 10:42:55 AM »

Meandering is allowed but within reason. The Arms is a little more liberal about this but meandering is not encouraged in the Music parts of Talkawhile. People use TAW as a reference and it becomes impossible to find things if the content doesn't match the subject.

Meandering like this is also a bit rude to the person who started a topic. Maybe they asked a particular question or maybe they wanted to talk about a particular thing. it's not fair on them if you choose to use their topic to talk about something different. In this thread Bob asked an interesting and difficult question which is worthy of some discussion and focus. I think it is worth keeping this thread on topic.

If you want to talk about Elvis, start a topic about Elvis and talk there.

If we did not call things as off-topic every now and then, then every thread on Talkawhile would end up on the subjects of Cr ocs, The Who or Chris Leslie's hair  Roll Eyes and that, in my opinion, would make it a horrible place to be.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
mik
Its a hawk moth!!

Loc: newmarket

Art! Empire! Industry!

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 01:02:52 PM »

Why?  Huh
Wasn't there a point in your life when you weren't familiar with every album released by Fairport?

I'm a relatively recent convert. I've heard various tracks from Nine on compilations and live recordings, but never the original.

Joke.

Never take me too seriously, its not worth the effort and I don't probably mean what I post anyway! I just don't like smileys.

Anyway - Nine is probably the Fairport album I play the most, and could be regarded as the 'great lost' Fairport album, in that a fair number of Fairport fans have not actually heard it.

tis a great album - one if not THE highlight of my fairport experiences is seeing the Nine line up at Crop 85. probably the last time this line up ever played together - such a shame

There's no truth in a telephone booth or a rock and roll toilet
Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

Loc: Oxford UK

fka Cheesy

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »

I remember seeing them at a free concert in a park in Harlow, Essex. I reckon this was one of the most technically and musically able line-ups with some cracking arrangements. This, of course,  evolved into a kind of Fotheringay mark II with Sandy rejoining and, the sometimes under-rated and overlooked, Bruce Rowland on drums, who I saw in Bristol's Colsnall - another happy and memorable gig. This in-turn led to the "BBoR" line-up who I saw in that Labour MP's garden, err whassisname? And probably one of my favourite albums by them. The title track is astonishing, it lasts for ages and Swarb doesn't play a single note on it - but my, what singing and the rest of the guys put in a superb backing.

If the devil is so bad, why has he got all the best tunes?
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »

Quote from Pete S
This in-turn led to the "BBoR" line-up who I saw in that Labour MP's garden, err whassisname?

Richard Crossman, Prescotte Manor  Wink

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Hedgehog

Loc: Deepest Darkest Daarzet

Lurking Longdog

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »

If we did not call things as off-topic every now and then, then every thread on Talkawhile would end up on the subjects of Cr ocs, The Who or Chris Leslie's hair  Roll Eyes and that, in my opinion, would make it a horrible place to be.

Glad you brought that up, Nick.  I for one have always wondered how Chris managed to re-grow it so quickly...

(Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist  Wink  Grin  Kiss  HH hides behind filing cabinet!)

"If I had all the money I spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!" - Sir Henry Rawlinson.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: