TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:42:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Songs of Sandy Denny at Barbican on TV  (Read 31033 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 12:27:17 AM »

It's a really strange thing - singers covering Sandy have always divided opinion - think of all the ones who've tried with Fairport for a start - from Cathy to Vicky to June to Simon etc etc etc  I guess she just inhabited the songs so deeply that nobody else really stands a chance.  I'm sort of glad that some of them still try, and not just ones who have similar voices.

for "doing them straight" as it were I think Chris While is the best I've heard

Hi Jeremy, my apologies for agreeing with you, (again) Sheen and I didn't like Lavinia's interpretation.
However , for me Vikki Clayton, in her pomp was my favourite Sandy interpreter.
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 09:28:09 AM »

That's ok Dave :-)  Never liked Vikki Clayton, technically great but never felt she had much soul.

On Maddy's dancing it wasn't that it was bad but that it was inappropriate to the songs.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Dubskiffler (keith)

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »

I tuned in to watch the show. I felt it was one of those very special shows. I was at a similar tribute event for John Martyn at Birmingahm Town Hall. A mixture of old muscial comrades and established/establishing muscians paying tribute to the master. Essentially, we are all there because we loved so much the original, and because the original was so original. I thought the house band were superb, and I felt we were treated to some wonderful performances and interpretations - not least Maddy Prior, and of course Swarb. The fact that we had a fair variety of other contemporary artists joining with the party only makes for a better session. Let's not be too critical, let's celibrate!

The more you learn, the more you learn there is to learn...
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »

I truly hope that some of the revenue of this show go towards Georgia and her family.

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »

makes you realise Sandy was blessed to have such strength at both ends of her range.

The above statement from Brendan sums it all up for me. Virtually every singer on the show struggled in my opinion.

The peerless JD was the star of the show, I reckon Sandy would have been pleased with his 'contribution'.  

No Left Turn Unstoned
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2012, 09:02:31 PM »

Just finished watching the show, and thought it was all wonderful, no complaints at all, can't wait to extract the sound and combine with the rest of the show Wink
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 12:35:18 PM »

As one of them said, they stripped the songs back to the bones and started from there so each singer brought their own style to the proceedings. I personally think that was better than getting someone like Chris While or whoever along to do some sort of tribute act. Highlights for me were Sam Carter (loved his take on Bushes & Briars), Thea Gilmore, Joan Wasser (if you looked past the pained facial expressions) and I though PP Arnold's performance was incredible on the song she did at the end.

Gerry and Swarb's playing was excellent and having them there made that connection back to Sandy in the same way that Danny Thompson did at the Nick Drake show. I enjoyed Green Gartside's singing of Nick's songs more than his singing of Sandy's.

And I thought Thea bringing on her 5 year old son to play was a nice touch.  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »

My Mum watched it - rang me to say that Swarb's playing on "Quiet Joys" brought tears to her eyes - she thought it was "one of the most beautiful pieces of music" she's ever heard.  

So if you read this, Swarb, you made at least one person very happy. Thank you.  Smiley

Flobbadob!
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »

I watched this not expecting much but really really enjoyed it.
My word the lady wrote a good song or two
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 12:56:36 AM »

My Mum watched it - rang me to say that Swarb's playing on "Quiet Joys" brought tears to her eyes - she thought it was "one of the most beautiful pieces of music" she's ever heard.  

So if you read this, Swarb, you made at least one person very happy. Thank you.  Smiley

Swarb's playing was sublime. It brought tears to my eyes, too, and I was only listening to it on my laptop (missed it on TV).

Thanks to Philip W of this parish, who posted the youtube clip.

I particularly like the way the cameraman focused in-and-out on Thea and Lavinia's faces as they watched Swarb work his magic...

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »

Finally got round to watching this.  I must say I was impressed.  I understand the comments about some of the singers, but I'm glad there was such a variety of styles as it showed that the songs were capable of being interpreted in a number of ways.  I'm only sorry I wasn't able to see it live.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »

Finally got round to watching this.  I must say I was impressed.  I understand the comments about some of the singers, but I'm glad there was such a variety of styles as it showed that the songs were capable of being interpreted in a number of ways.  I'm only sorry I wasn't able to see it live.

i loved the show live, but hated the way they edited it for tv, the music is beyond reproach

The Dude abides
dave43
n3wb

Loc: Salisbury area

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 03:10:49 AM »

I enjoyed most of this show.  Opinions seem to be mixed re Lavinia.  But I felt the performance of "Quiet joys of brotherhood" was quite lovely, and especially Lavinia's lead vocal (and Swarb, obviously).  For me it was up there with Julie Fowlis singing "Farewell, farewell" at Cropredy a few years ago (which also made me blub!).

I don't think either Lavinia or Julie were trying to "be" Sandy.  Who could?
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »

Went out and purchased the thea gilmore album the weekend......Lovely stuff
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »

Went out and purchased the thea gilmore album the weekend......Lovely stuff

Agree Bill, it's a beautiful album, such a fine voice.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »

Opinions seem to be mixed re Lavinia.  But I felt the performance of "Quiet joys of brotherhood" was quite lovely, and especially Lavinia's lead vocal (and Swarb, obviously).  

It's a shame the BBC had to cut 'A Sailor's Life' (for reasons of length). That was another lovely performance from Lavinia on the night, with Jerry D to the fore in the instrumental.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »

We have the broadcast on Freesat recorder, for future transfer to PC and burning to DVD when I can figure out how to do it - perhaps over the Christmas break Wink
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »

The word over at www.facebook.com/Sandydennyofficial is that there may be a commercially released DVD and, if there is, it will include everything.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:43:14 AM by Neil » Logged

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: